Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Big Wrench
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son owns a 1990 camry. He just locked the keys in it and doesn't have a spare. I'm at work so I can't go and and try picking it.

Does anyone know if it's possible to pick it with like a hanger or something? It would only work if the mechanism needed to be pulled up. A hanger won't be able to push down will it?

He called me and I gave him the name of a local locksmith. Just trying to see if I can save himself a few bucks.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Do cops do it for free? Because i kno they can stick like a metal sheet down between the window and the door and they can get the door open like that.

·
Big Wrench
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He just called me on my cell. He just called the locksmith.

Oh well, It was worth a try.

And yes, he knows he needs to get a spare made.

·
Registered
107 Posts
YEa ithought cops did it for free as long as u showed them papers proving that u owned the car once they opened it for u.
at least thats what they do in Pa

·
Not so Noob now!
561 Posts
I've been able to get into my Camry by C3Nc0rD C3Nc0rD C3Nc0rD... What! You think I'm going to tell you all! Bite Me!

(Don't want to make it any easier for somebody to steal your car.):D

·
Formula One Fanatic
299 Posts
cops around here won't do it at all anymore. used to be they'd only do it for manual door locks cause they were afraid of messing up auto locks. but last time i locked my keys in my car at a quik trip the cop told me they don't do it at all anymore. don't know what's up with that.

on the same note, has anyone thought about taping a spare keying somewhere in the underbody where no one would think about looking for it? kinda like the whole key under the rock at home idea. i was about to post putting it in the engine bay but you gotta be in the car to open the hood.:hammer: . i might try this myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Call a tow truck. That was my occupation for 5 yrs. We had tools specifically designed to open doors. I could get in almost any car in less than 5 minutes. Did it in front of a cop on a Celica after watching him try for ten minutes with his slim jim. If you have AAA, they cover this too.

·
Working hard?
91 |4 camry
376 Posts
tape a key behind your number plate- it has saved me twice when ive been away from home- but anywhere hidden is good

·
Reppin my Home
343 Posts
The police generally use what is called a "slimjim", and it can scratch windows and disrupt the interior.

Have a spare made :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cops don't do it anymore because of the law suits the department gets when the vehicle is damaged. Slimjims catch onto a rod (on most cars) that locks and unlocks the door. These rods are connected be plastic connectors and when break you need to remove the door panel. These people who lock there keys in the vehilce will try to sue the police department for it. Too bad now, you need to get a locksmith for about $60 to open your door.

·
Banning is an art.
1992 Camry V6 LE
3,267 Posts
Do what I did on my Camry. I installed a long wire connected to the door unlock plug in the passenger side kick panel, and it went into my engine bay and I ziptied it just behind the front bumper. To unlock, all you have to do is touch the wire against the ground, and it unlocks the door. Then I'd hide a spare key in like my interior, like underneath the shifter.

Phi saw it in action once I think. Works well, used it twice in the past. I removed all the wiring just a few months ago so don't think about stealing my cam....

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
How do you do this one thing? I saw a guy w/ a civic do it. He had a wire like you but instead of touching it, he bit it. That action made the hood pop open.

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
WhiteR said:
its a good idea to have a spare key in your wallet so you know youll almost always have it on you
Yup! lost my keys at Six Flags in Pennsylvania. It would have been a LONG walk home.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts