Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here it goes. I have located two cars and I can’t decide between the two of them. So I’m looking for any help to decide. Both look claim to be running well with no issues. And both have very similar options as far as amenities (power options, etc.)

here are the options:

1991 Camry DX - $800
-118k miles
-no visible damage aside from regular wear and tear
-check engine light on (owner says it has been on for 10 years)

1994 Corolla DX - $1300
-99k miles
-no visible damage aside from regular wear and tear
-original owner

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,712 Posts
The CEL code can be checked with a paper clip... why would the owner not fix it sometime in the last 10 years?

For those prices, drive both and see which one you like better. Maybe check the trans fluid condition on both to see a hint as to their maintenance history (the closer to cherry red good, closer to black would be bad).

-Charlie

·
イリジウム
13,136 Posts
You can run Autocheck on both of them. The fact that the 91 has the check engine light on could mean that you're going to spend some money on fixing it just to turn it off the proper way. If the owner left that light on for 10 years that says something to me.

I'm not sure if your state's emissions regulations are going to change. At least for newer cars that light can't be on for you to pass emissions tests; older ones have different requirements. You add the money in there both are getting close. Does the Camry's hood gaps look even to you?

A Corolla is like what 30% cheaper than a Camry to begin with? But given the 94 has lower miles (< 100K in particular) and no check engine light, from the pictures and brief descriptions I'd lean toward it even if it's a smaller car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts