Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently did a reinstall.upgrade to mar car and now my subs aren't playing. I swapped out a twochannel amp for a four. I ran a new rca from my processor to the four channel amp for the rears. I changed nothing about the sub amp in the install. Now when I turn on the system, the cap comes on, then the two amp light up and nothing comes out of the subs, no turn on noise, nothing. WHat could be wrong and what should I do

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
may be dumb but....did you make sure that the gains on the amp are turned up? cuz if you just bought it new, the gain is usually turned all the way down

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the amp pushing the subs is not new, I got a new four channel to driver my mids/highs in the four doors. I have the gain on the subs amp at around 2/5, the sub sonic filter is off (sealed box) and the LP is crossed at around 110. The amp is on, that is the green light comes on. I am really stumped. my HU has the sub output on, it's set at 12 of 14, mono output (amp is bridged) the processor has been pushing the subs all along, it's not new. I appriciate the ibnput eye8, I'm hoping it turns out to be something that stupid that I am overlooking. Is it possible for a whole set of RCAs to go bad, would I still get some sound?

·
Registered
27 Posts
this may sound simple, but maybe try using the old rca cable, or just make for sure that it is plugged in securely...also try to wire the rca straight from the HU to the amp, just to make sure there isn't a problem with the processor...

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the processor was working fine as of a few days ago, I also tried running the sub rca out of the rear outputs from the processor (the rear speakers work, so I know that isn't the problem) and still didn't get any sound

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I'll try to swap rcas and see about that. any other thoughts on what to check?

·
Ferocious Teddy Bear
674 Posts
based on your knowledge im sure you have a multimeter handy, or one of your friends have one. This is the oppotunity to use every function.
Check 4 continuity of the power and ground first,
then check voltage coming OUT of the amp,
then check voltage at the end of the rcas (ampside, unplugged).
Double check fuses, its quite possible that a fuse is blown, but allows enough current to make an amp turn on. Its odd but it does happen, especially with the old style "aue" JL fuses (wavy). Finally impedence test the subs and check for continuity. ONE of those issues will read zero.

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that's the best idea, I have a multimeter in the garage, I'll check all the connections and hu settingg again to make sure that's all in line, then I'll start testing.
one question, how do I test the subs?

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it all straighted out. it was the rca cable (thank god, i didn't want to spend any more money right now) thanks for all the help guys. I love my multimeter

·
toyo man for life
2004 camry se
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any idea what could have caused the rca to go like that, It literaly dies while I was doing the install (10 days). It was working fine then?:confused: . oh well, twenty dollars later and the subs are finally back. Still waiting on the damn rca cable for the rear channel I added, damn ebay merchants.
thanks again guys, always good advice. Often not too condesending(sp);)

·
Ferocious Teddy Bear
674 Posts
your biggest problem is that you bought cheap rcas, interconnects are the most integral part of your system, most over look that fact.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts