Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have scoured the web to understand what options I have around getting an extended warranty on a 2016 Highlander Hybrid Limited purchased from a local Toyota dealership (Houston, Tx area). The vehicle has less than 34k miles, but is quickly coming up on what would have been it's factory warranty (3 year \ 34 k miles).

I am wanting the Toyota extended warranty (6 year \ 100k) but don't even know if that's an option as the vehicle was a certified pre-owned. Someone please help clear the rules up for me.

• I've heard \ read that any warranty from Toyota needs to be purchased at the time of the vehicle purchase - Can someone confirm?
  • I've also heard \ read that the warranty must be purchased from the selling dealership - Please help confirm.
  • Can I even purchase the same extended warranty that I would have been given the option of if the vehicle was purchased new?
I've got some offers on extended warranties from the credit union where I have my loan with, but I truly believe that the Toyota warranty would be a better option - IF- the pricing is very similar (same deductible, etc.).

Please help me clear this up. The 34k is quickly approaching, I am aware of the CPO warranty extension (1 year, 12K miles I believe for everything with the exception of a 100k mile powertrain) & not sure if that helps me extend the purchase timeframe around the ability to purchase any new Toyota extended warranty options available to me because of the vehicles pre-owned status.

Any & all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Generally speaking, for new cars purchased by the original owner:

1. A Toyota Extended Warranty, technically called the Toyota Service Agreement (TSA), because it legally is not a warranty (even though it works just like one) does not have to be purchased at time of vehicle purchase. They can be purchased up to 3 years or 36,000 miles, but it "may" cost more (and require a vehicle inspection) if purchased after the first year (but not sure about that).

2. The TSA does not have to be purchased at the dealer where the vehicle was purchased. Toyota has "told" dealers to not sell a TSA to a customer who lives out of state via phone or email, etc, unless they show up in person, but not all dealers abide by that restriction.

I don't know anything about getting a TSA for a used car under 3 years or 36,000 miles, but here is some more information:

For more information, contact Toyota via their contact info at their website (do not ask a dealer).

Pricing on a TSA is up to the dealer, and can vary wildly. One dealer's best offer many be $1800, but another dealer may charge $3600 for the same exact coverage. Many dealers starting ask price for a TSA is ridiculous, just in case the buyer is an idiot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response Mark888, it pays to be a smart consumer generally so that information is extremely helpful & why I am asking. I generally don't trust dealers unless I personally know, or have had previous history with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts