Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 99 corolla this week. 111,000 miles. at the time, i only test drive locally and it was very smooth, however, when I took the car home driving on the freeway, the engine sounded as though it was knocking. It sounds exactly like a washing machine doing it's wring clothes cycle when car goes 55 or above. it gets pretty loud.

well, last night, i changed the transmission and engine oil and filter. In addition to the engine oil, I half a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil to the engine. i drove the car to work and it ran fine, however, still with the above sound.

This morning, as I was approaching the freeway at 40+ mph, I could hear the same engine sound. however, the car started to shake a bit at 40 mhp and lack of power.

I'm not sure if this was due to the Marvel Mystery Oil used to clean the engine. Then my engine light started to blink... I managed to get the car home. Car runs rough at idle constantly in Park..etc.

Error codes: Random misfire, Misfire of cylinder 2 and cylinder 3.
P0302, P0303, P0300.

I've searched the codes and came across this link:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292311

1) I have yet to pull the plugs so I don't know what's the condition. I believe the person who sold it to me said he replaced the plugs in 1997 (don't quote me), but he never replaced the spark plug wireset.

If the miss-fire is caused by the Marvel Mystery Oil, potentially these contaminant could go to the cat and ruin it! So, was it a bad idea to add Marvel Mystery oil? I'm thinking I should have just left it alone and did a few frequent 2000 miles oil and filter change instead.

I'll keep reading more misfire pages.

BTW, there was no error code when before I bought the car.

Thank you,
Gordon

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
can someone give me a diagram of where's cylinder 1, 2, 3, 4? I can follow the wires but i just want to be sure .. thanks. mark orientation of the car and viewer's perspective.

Thanks.

Edit: this guy sea foamed his car then got misfire codes similar to mine: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280795&highlight=P0302

Edit2: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267414&highlight=P0302&page=2

Edit3: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267856&highlight=P0302 //tells me that sea foaming and engine cleaning stuff is definitely not the way to go..

Edit4: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293263&highlight=change+spark+plug // more about plugs being fouled using sea foam type..

still reading...

·
ロンリードラ&#
99 Corolla CE
228 Posts
Change the plugs and wireset because they are way over due. I change my plugs about every 30,000 mi and changed the wireset just last year at about 70,000 mi. My '99 is at 90,200 mi now and I haven't had any problems with it at all since the day I bought it from the original owner in 2000. Never used any of those miracle cleaners before so I have no experience with them.

I'd tell which is which cylinder, but I'm at work right now and don't have my Hayne's repair manual.

·
NoLa Rolla
'05 Corolla S 240K+ miles ('98 Corolla VE deceased in 2008)
695 Posts
From the passenger side that plug goes to the FRONT
Second plug goes to the BACK
Third plug goes to SECOND FROM BACK
Right plug goes to SECOND FROM FRONT

Hope this doesn't confuse anyone.

Gil

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
should i drain all the new oils? crap.. i can't believe it. if you read the above link, there's a link in there where someone used sea foam, and he had some misfires afterwards too..not sure if it's a coincident, but can you guys check out the links on my link above? i'm researching this the best i can, cuz

a) i don't want to buy new spark plugs and only to learn that it gets fouled up again..(do you think it will?) and

b) if i buy a wireset, i dont' want any chance of breaking it if i have to remove it again..

I did spill some engine oil last night, but not much...don't think that has anything to do w/ it cuz it did drive fine..

Please think through and help!! I'd be ever so grateful!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, i'm throughly confused.. you got a paper and can draw it? 99 corolla.. draw where the head lights so i know the orientation.

Thanks,
gordon

From the passenger side that plug goes to the FRONT
Second plug goes to the BACK
Third plug goes to SECOND FROM BACK
Right plug goes to SECOND FROM FRONT

Hope this doesn't confuse anyone.

Gil

·
NoLa Rolla
695 Posts

·
NoLa Rolla
695 Posts
Ok, pop the hood. Stand in front of the car. As you are looking at the engine the passenger side will be on YOUR LEFT. The drivers side will be on your RIGHT.

Spark plugs are FROM LEFT TO RIGHT: 1, 2, 3, 4
The wires plug into coils FROM FRONT TO BACK: 1, 4, 3, 2

Check to make sure they are in their correct locations and NOT TOUCHING or broken.

The best thing to do if you're going to be working on your car is to either get an official service manual OR get a Haynes manual. I just have the Haynes and keep it in the car.

Gil

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks. :)

Ok, pop the hood. Stand in front of the car. As you are looking at the engine the passenger side will be on YOUR LEFT. The drivers side will be on your RIGHT.

Spark plugs are FROM LEFT TO RIGHT: 1, 2, 3, 4
The wires plug into coils FROM FRONT TO BACK: 1, 4, 3, 2

Check to make sure they are in their correct locations and NOT TOUCHING or broken.

The best thing to do if you're going to be working on your car is to either get an official service manual OR get a Haynes manual. I just have the Haynes and keep it in the car.

Gil

·
NoLa Rolla
695 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the unit is ASE. bought the thing :) My original spark plug was totally oily and black. I was unable to measure the resistance to the original spark plug wire #2 but i am to the other wires. There were water build up around the plug where the boot plugs to the spark plug. I'm going to replace this wire! I'm hoping that this didn't screw up the cat. Is it possible to screw up the cat if one of the wire WAS working but not too well, and that there's no engine light misfire? All I know is that when I drove the car on the freeway at 55 mph, when I bought it this week, it made that rattle noise.. If the original owner drove it for some times like this, you think it would have affected the cat? I don't think it was a complete wire failure at the time because the engine light did not come on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gordon,

Have you been able to fix your problem? Mine is similar except I haven't gone to AZ to check my code. Yes, I did use seafoam a few weeks ago and noticed quite a gain of power. I am thinking about changing out the oil and perhaps take a look at the spark plugs now that you got me worried.

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,446 Posts
If one of your plugs failed to fire there will be unburnt fuel through the cat which adds burden to it.

Last year I seafoamed my car at a track, just before going on. Major smoke show with photographic proof somewhere here :eek:: :lol:. But I have no code afterwards.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Our phat moderator :) answered the question.. yes, this mystery oil did foil my plugs! that's why it started to shake like crazy. however, in addition to the fouling, one of my wire had zero continuity, meaning it's completely broken. i replaced the wire and everything is smooth, however instead of replacing the plugs at the time, i used a rough brush and cleaned off the gunk very well since it was platinum plugs.. u can decide to also use engine cleaner or MAF cleaner on the plugs too if it's totally oiled to the point it's watery and black. The plug what had the broken wire was majorly fouled, i replaced with cheap cooper plug to test, and car ran smoothly. so yes, it's the fouling of the plugs that cause the shaking, or in my case both fouling of plugs and a bad wire.. all the other wires had high resistance too.

after running for a while, I bought the special "long life denso iridium plugs" (Note these are not standard denso iridium plugs) since i have a new wireset and replaced the valve cover gasket using fel-pro and ultra blue RTV on both sides.. (i researched this a bit)..can look for my posts. then bought a torque wrench and tightened upto spec according to my book. the only reason I bought the special long life denso iridium plugs is because i hear that wiresets are very easy to break, even if you are careful with them and I ain't going to shell out money to keep replacing these wiresets. google around and u can find cheap places to buy these long life denso iridiums ..costed extra 10 bucks for all 4 plugs over regular denso iridium.. special long life denso iridium have platinum and iridium parts..wish there's iridium to iridium. I'm thinking that since the plugs fire so efficiently, i doubt sea foam will foul it up, and even if it does get foul, it'll probably self clean due to lowered voltage potential for spark to jump.

Here's my question: did you change ANYTHING to see the horse power gain aside the sea foam?? and why on earth would you see horse power gain after sea foam..i mean, can you prove it? or did it feel better, simply because you changed engine oil?? every time i change engine oil, it feels better of course.

further research showed why my wireset was wet on the boot: it's because the wireset was old, and as a result, the built up resistance in the wire made it attract water molecules.. i also read that when the wireset is filled with water, it basically "shorts" itself. i don't now if ngk will warranty that.. i'm hoping they would cuz that's why i bought it from them in case this happens 5 or 10 years later :)

after taking out the valve cover gasket, i don't thnk my engine look that dirty..parts that move are extremely clean.. my question / thinking is, why would sea foaming it increase horse power (assuming u didnt' change the engine oil).. does sea foam work on the exhaust pipes and clean the catalytic converts?? or will sea foam kill the catalytic converter?? this is one reason why I am not inclined to do any sea foam after the mystery oil..or do the mystery oil at all..i think they're about the same stuff right? . i do knowthat high heat will kill the cat! My thinking is, if some of the "moving" parts are clean, then why would it matter if stationary parts are gunky? the heat and and combustion is powerful to not be affected by minor gunks right?? the only way it would gain horse power is if the sea foam cleaned the exhaust pipes..cuz i read that clogged exhaust and cat will lower hp because of flow restriction? This makes sense..as I hear this is why people buy larger exhaust pipes to gain hp..though limited cuz new cars have enough pipes.

anyone saved a link on how to do the sea foam? oh shoot, here's goes my time on researching sea foam. personally, i doubt i would need sea foam if i change filter and oil every 3000 miles cuz there's detergent in the oil anyway!

To answer petabb2's question about him worrying about fouled plugs.. need not worry if it runs smooth; the heat from the sparks will eventually burn off the foul stuff on the plugs, especially if you drive on the highway. You'll know if your plugs are fouled if it's a) engine light complaining about misfire and b ) engine shake (though it could be other reasons).

Gordon

p.s. another reason why i'm hesistant about sea foaming is a moral one: does this sea foaming thing increase carcinogenic smoke on the street?? u really believe the smoke from sea foam is eqivalent to the amount of sludge it burns.. yeah right.. i doubt it....the smoke is merely a by product of whatever is in sea foam. i'm thinking the sea foam is like a thinner that dissolves the gunk...much like engine cleaners..i'll research..but it would be nice if someone can add links and we research this together.

here's exactly why i'm hesitant on seafoam..cuz people say nutty things about it.. it can get you chicks, and grow your hair back!
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/27876-ok-i-give-up-what-seafoam.html

people seem to like it... didnt' answer about catalytic converter damage though..
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/v6/461300-does-seafoam-really-make.html

Gordon,

Have you been able to fix your problem? Mine is similar except I haven't gone to AZ to check my code. Yes, I did use seafoam a few weeks ago and noticed quite a gain of power. I am thinking about changing out the oil and perhaps take a look at the spark plugs now that you got me worried.

·
Gearhead
2,123 Posts
Throttle Body - front of the engine, follow either the airbox to the TB or the tubular intake manifold runners to the TB - should be right in the middle, with a bunch of hoses coming off of it.

Pics here:

Also for grins - what a dirty TB looks like:

And after some scrubbing with a toothbrush and solvent:

Those were pretty good links on the Seafoam - I liked the crazy comments ones. If used properly, Seafoam has the potential to work great - basically helps dissolves built up gum and varnish in the fuel and induction system, I'd be a little hesitant to pour it into the crankcase though - maybe for a heavily sludged motor and/or last ditch effort to save an engine. Same principle of using plain water and trickling that into older carburated cars. Water hits the combustion chamber and instantly turns to steam - blows alway carbon deposits in the process. If you had a marginal catalytic converter - you can only guess what will happen if you blast all sorts of gunk at it not to mention your O2 sensors. Depending on what contaminants were blown down - you could either seriously clog the cat or poison it with additives.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fish, thanks again.. emm.. what year is the car and is it a corolla? ..emm.. does my 1999 corolla have a TB? My car has fuel injection, no carburator...does only a carburator car have TB?

I was afraid of thinking that using seafoam or even water will kill my cat as the junk gets blown down to it... my cat isn't marginal i don't think, but still, cats can be very expensive to replace, and I rather have it last as long as possible..

so if i follow the airbox, it'll lead to the TB.. they say to get a water bottle and squirt it into the TB? wish I can see the TB to my corolla 99.

Then http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=126583

also, where's
a) break booster
b) intake
c) crank case

... all the above available on the 99 corolla?

Thanks,
Gordon

1 - 20 of 28 Posts