Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Old Man
03 Matrix Xr
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to purchase a slighly dinged fron 06 matrix XR with automatic. Course the battery in car is dead, in middle of a LOT in body shop yard SO I have not carried battery out there to it yet, to see if I suspect the miles are much less than mine which is an 03 with manual.

SO.
I need to know if there is even the slight chance I can even put an 06 engine into an 03? My 03 leaks oil like a siv, and just crossed the 200k, it seems weak but have not been in anyone else's to compare.

I Love the dang car, and have time to buy this wrecked one, for a song, remove the engine, freshen it up (gasket wise).

I have swapped engines on other vehicles before, last one being my son's ranger... but learned you need to find similar years, or which was my case, tima and be able to swap enough electronics during swap to make it run. I tried a 00 dodge dakota v8, and found they had a crank sensor that was a bigger job than I wanted to handle, if you didn't find a doner within a year of the 00.

I apologise, I haven't done a lot of research as I discovered the wrecked car, just the other day... and since I know the body shop owner, I was originally looking at it for the steering wheel (leather 'skin' all worn off mine where you hold onto it) this one is in great shape.asked how much for it? But He didn't know the miles. I could buy the whole 06 for almost nothing. I looked at it a little bit and I think I could drive it home with straps to hold the hood down, but I have a trailer. I just live in low population rural area and you dont find these cars just everywhere.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Long block is physically the same. Major differences are the electronic throttle, air injection exhaust manifold, and air injection system. As long as you swap over your engine harness and the intake/exhaust manifolds to the new engine there isn't any issue.

Money aside, if you were going to rip the donor engine apart regardless, why not just remove your current engine and refresh? Most oil leaks would be from the timing chain tensioner, timing chain cover and oil pan.

First thing I recommend it doing a compression test on your current engine. If compression is within spec then this will save you time and money in the long run as you won't be tearing apart a donor car and then just have it sit in your yard for a while.

The steering wheel is also the came as the 03-08 Corolla, 00-05 Celica, and of course the 03-08 Matrix. You can find this steering wheel for relatively cheap, along with new leather kits to wrap the wheel in.

·
Old Man
03 Matrix Xr
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long block is physically the same. Major differences are the electronic throttle, air injection exhaust manifold, and air injection system. As long as you swap over your engine harness and the intake/exhaust manifolds to the new engine there isn't any issue.

Money aside, if you were going to rip the donor engine apart regardless, why not just remove your current engine and refresh? Most oil leaks would be from the timing chain tensioner, timing chain cover and oil pan.

(snipped for brevity)
Thanks for answering my questions. I kind of meant fixing leaks & gaskets on swapper motor... on my statement of freshing, sorry I realize now it sounded more like rebuild.

Either way I cannot afford to have daily driver down for time it takes to rebuild the original engine. finding this one gives me time to make it all good then swap over a weekend. I would love to turn back some miles for this Xr. My car is running, leaks a quart a week, tailpipe is saying it burns some as well. I am hoping I find out this other motor has fewer miles. Now that I know it wont be as bad as the Dodge Dakota swap, I will run over to check miles ASAP.

I pound a lot of miles per year on it, don't want to be without it (not quarantined). I drive 45 miles door to work door every week day, plus 20 ish miles opposite direction for most evening activities (where the car is BTW) and groceries & stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts