Toyota Nation Forum banner

Help needed for installing oil catch can

1714 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  75aces
Hello, i know this is a basic install, but i want to make sure its correct. And i cant find anywhere for a echo install.
Reason for install: car has 377k burning 1 litre of oil per 1000 kms.
Is this picture a correct install.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Rim
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
8,698 Posts
The catch can is not going to resolve your oil consumption issue.
Your rings are shot at that mileage and the engine needs an overhaul or replacement.
Catch cans are useful mostly in turbocharged applications and really don't do much for a normally aspirated engine with a properly functioning PCV system.

As Vangm mentioned, the mess of oil on the top of the engine is a major concern. That can fuel a fire.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
How/Why/When did the oil catch can myth, become so popular? Has any legitimate organization done any scientific controlled test to verify that the myth is lame? Too bad MythBusters didn’t do it.

It reminds me of the various snake oil gadgets that claim to improve MPG.

· Registered
184 Posts
Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive fuel system Personal luxury car
An oil catch can is going to capture a lot of a little depending on how much blow-by you have. Under wet / damp conditions you will trap more moisture, so check the OCC more frequently. What oil, water, or a combination of both you catch will be crud that is not then ingested into the engine during the combustion process.

· Registered
1,465 Posts
That sounds great, theoretically.

BUT, if the contraption was worth it, ALL the OEMs would incorporate it into the manufacturing process. I guess they don't b/c risk/reward doesn't justify it. Additional complexity, additional maintenance, additional points of failure, low cost, and NO MEANINGFUL BENEFIT.
Decades of engines have been achieving high mileage w/o the snake in a can creation.

OP, kick the can to the curb. Money would have been better spent on lotto tix maybe. Start saving for a engine repair/replacement or a new/younger vehicle.

Catch can = magnetic fuel line efficiency unicorn.

Here are other debunked vehicle snake oil.

· Registered
2,272 Posts
Some Toyota engines have factory oil catch can built into the block. Instead of draining externally, it dilutes the oil. Alternatively, keeps intake cleaner.

An external catch can as you can imagine dilutes less of the engine oil while reducing intake garbage.

Every 40-60k I clean my intake manifold and intake runners. Guaranteed, results are oily from the PCV. My motor doesn’t have an integrated oil separator and is simply a passive vent.

To be honest, do whatever you want.

In the end, it’s worth it to just clean out the intake manifold and intake runners. Takes a lot of time but I’ve found that a cleaner intake does net power restoration. Most people won’t bother, so there’s mixed bag of nuts here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Administrator
マズダスピード3
19,325 Posts
How/Why/When did the oil catch can myth, become so popular? Has any legitimate organization done any scientific controlled test to verify that the myth is lame? Too bad MythBusters didn’t do it.

It reminds me of the various snake oil gadgets that claim to improve MPG.
In most applications, it removes the contaminates within the oil before going back into the crank case.

Think of it this way. You buy fuel and it has less ethanol due to water. That will mix with oil and dilute. Then you send it back through and can eventually clog or act as a magnate for more carbon to build up. It's more or less preventative.

I own a direct injection engine now and do not have fuel wash in port injection engines. The carbon build up reduces performance and without a catch can, most of it returns and will stick to my valves. This in turn will then affect the oil control ring on my pistons. Will cause oil consumption between oil change intervals.

Op, it's best to figure out where the oil leak is and fix it. Then add the oil catch can after the repairs.

Reactions: cb91710
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.