Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 89' Cressida. There was a sound coming from the front right side whenever I used to go over a smooth bump. First I thought it might be the suspension, but then I got it checked and it is actually a rod the kinda goes from the back of the brakes into the middle of the car under the engine. I dont know exactly what that part is called. The mechanic gave me an expensive quote on it. One of my friend told me that he can get the part for a fair, but I dont know exactly the name of the part. Can anybody help me out with some suggestions here

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think you are refering to the strut bar. One side of the stabilizer bar. Look at page SA-25 of the Toyota repair manual.

Hope this helps

·
RA28 + MX73
RA28, MX73
1,205 Posts
Sounds like you mean the tie rod.
This connects the wheel to the steering system.
Probably just the tie rod end (small ball joint where the tie rod is bolted to the cast iron steering knuckle at the bottom of the upright supension strut) is worn.
Might also be a worn main ball joint (large ball joint connecting the horizontal suspension arm to the upright suspension strut).
Both are cheap to replace, although they are really, really tight and hard to get off without a ball joint removal tool.

- Stepho

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
Or if you don't happen to have one yourself: can you point out the part he pointed out before?
(Left wheel pictured, Left is toward the front of the car)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I showed it to mechanic again today and he said that the Rack and Pinion has gone bad.... can anybody suggest how much they cost? The mechanic gave me a bugdet of 150$ for a used one. Is the price fair enough?

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
100-150 is pretty close for a used one from a mechanic. check local salvage yards if you want a better comparison.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks kamesama...I got the part for around 140$, and got it replaced too. But that sound is still there, whenever I go over a smooth bump, or whenever my car is full with people i hear that sound quite often over small bumps too. I dont know what it is now:confused:

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
Quite possibly a worn suspension bushing or one of the things mentioned above. I wouldn't go to that shop ever again...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts