Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, so I've been troubleshooting my truck with no success so far and wondering if anyone could help. When I unplug spark wires at distributor cylinder #1, #3, #4 show no change in engine idle.
New
distributor and cap
Plugs and wires (sparking hard)
Compression tests excellent
#1= 143psi. #2= 132psi. #3= 138psi
#4= 133psi #5= 134psi. #6= 132psi

fuel filter (fuel that came out was dirty maybe clogged injectors)

tested with volt meter
Vaf and Tps and there fine.

Can here injectors firing fine with screwdriver test but maybe there clogged.

When I bought it they said they had someone replace headgasket so I'm thinking maybe they missed a tooth on timing belt or something.

Only code is dreaded 52 knock sensor but I wouldnt think that would cause only 3 cyclinders to fire. Also it still runs rough when I reset ecm before ks throws a code at 1600rpm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thank you so much for the excellent reply. I'm definitely going to do the injector test on my plugs soon. Then I will pull timing belt cover and check valve timing if injectors show there firing fine.
From looking at my book the compression is in a good range, says 150-175 psi for newer motors. I have triple checked that plug wires are indeed routed correctly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I will try that test as well. The book I'm referring to is the Chiltons. Pretty sure it's a stock 3vze motor as well with almost 190k on it. Headgasket was done by previous owner

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rule #1. Never trust someone else's work unless you watched them do it correctly and it ran fine afterward with no issue. Even then that's a crap shoot. Things come loose, parts sometimes don't last, etc.

Something else to check that most might not think of. I have found something interesting. It seems the 3VZE is known for injector wiring plugs crumbling apart. I wonder if this might be a simple problem with a bad electrical connection at the injectors?
Yeah I definitely don't trust who ever did it, could of easily missed or messed something. I have read about these 3vze being notorious for wiring issues and I suspected that myself but when I touch a screwdriver to an injector and listening they are indeed firing correctly. I really appreciate your insight and help. Will update once I do some more tests . thank u

1 - 4 of 4 Posts