Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
is300
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my car and i notice some smoke and nasty smell coming from under my hood. After I filled up my gas, I noticed a lot of oil on the ground so I parked my car and popped the hood. I noticed that a lot of oil is coming out from the last grey plug thaz on the right side of the engine. I think it is the oil pressure plug, not positive. This is the first time it has happened. Every time the car is on, oil keeps spilling and everytime i check the oil level after the spill, it still has a lot in the engine. I changed my oil regularly and I got my last three oil changes from the dealer (last oil change is this mth). This is the first time it has happened. I got a tune up (spark plugs, wires, ground wires, tranny flush, coolant, fuel filter, new battery) on May. What could be wrong?

97 camry le, 4cyl, 103k miles.

·
Registered
is300
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
according to haynes manaul, its the oil pressure sensor. I brought my car in to the dealer to have it checked out. wonder why it would leak? The dealer said those switches go out at times.

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
yup i had a sentra that had a leak from the sensor as well, bought a new one stop leaking from there ... now everywhere else is leaking ....

·
Registered
is300
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just got my car back from the dealer, 120 bucks for parts and labor. they replaced the oil pressure switch. but there's still smoke and smell from it, i called the dealer backand they said it'll take a while for it to disappear bc they didnt clean the engine well enough so there are still oil on the engine and it will take about a week for the oil to burn away. is that true?

·
96 3MZ M/T
Camry
2,879 Posts
maybe so but if you want to get rid of it faster get some degreser (like 409 or simple green) spray the area and then hose it down. then if it still does that you should be concerned. this will also help to see if it stoped the oil leak as there would be no oil left around there.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
If you did this about 1 month ago at the dealership, take it back immediatly and blame it on them. They might fix it for you for free.

·
Registered
is300
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I got an oil change done in Bay Ridge toyota last mth in NYC and I don't drive my car that often (approx 100 miles total for 2 mths). The car was fine when I drove it up to Buffalo, NY last Tuesday. It was running fine up until this sunday when oil started to spill out from the oil pressure sending unit then smoke starts appearing from underneath the engine and fumes. Well, that unit is replaced in Buffalo, NY and smokes and smell is still there , seems like its coming from underneath the engine bay (seems like its behind the manifold). I'll get my engine cleaned at Delta Sonic and car wash with the undercarriage spary maybe tomorrow, hope i dont have to make an appointment, and hope it'll fix the prob. But I wonder why the unit would leak. I service my car regularly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts