Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am wondering how I will be able to remove the plastic covering of my 92 camry center piece tailight to paint it to the color of my car? Also where can i find the color code of my 92 camry? thank-you

·
Banning is an art.
3,269 Posts
I believe not one person here has attempted to remove that plastic covering...and if someone were to attempt it, it'd probably be me!

I think the only way to take it off is using heat; either with a heat gun or sticking in the oven, no joke. Maxima guys clear out their rear turn signal lights by putting it in the oven for like 5 minutes at 350F...and then baste lightly! :grin: They remove the covering, use a piece from some fluorescent lighting and then just stick it back together.

I was thinking of doing this later on this year but I still don't know what the design of the center panel would be like...most likely I'd just paint everything silver except for the rears.

The colour code should be on the driver side door, it's a 3 digit number...my platinum silver is like 174.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i've recently painted the center piece of my '92 Camry. got it done while getting the rest of the car repainted. they did not remove the center piece, just painted "as-is" on the car. don't have a finished pic though but here's a pic while it was in the shop.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/pe7d7e63f78be0c46529b6612fda6ef9c/fe2fff49.jpg.orig.jpg

got them to take the emblems off and fill in the holes with 'glass too. i'll post some finished pictures of the paint job sometime in the future.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is it worth it to hook up my car if it has 140,000 miles?..cuz im not sure if i want to do or not

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Henry, i mean i want to take out the clear plastic part and then paint the inner part so it matches the color of my car...how will i be able to do that thanks..

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
If you take care of your car, it will last you 300,000 miles without any problems... so it depends on the current condition of your car and how well you take care of it. My car after 130,000 miles runs as well as it did at 60,000 miles... a little faster now I think. :wink:

On 2001-11-07 08:55, phat555 wrote:
is it worth it to hook up my car if it has 140,000 miles?..cuz im not sure if i want to do or not

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
cost of the repaint was about 3 G's. but that was thru insurance so of course the estimates will be a little skewed. my car was caught in a freak hail storm in the late summer. hail was the size of golf balls!

i'll post some pics soon.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
well... 3G's for repair of all the dents and repaint of the whole car. and that was under insurance so the price will be higher than if done privately. for just paint i'm guessing maybe around $1000? you can get some cheap jobs done out there for $500 where they just mask areas off with tape and do a few thin layers of paint. but you want to find a reputable place where they do good prep work and use good materials. all the labour is in the prep work: masking, removing the little things like emblems, molding, handles, bumper...etc. ask around and try and look at some of their past work on other peoples' cars.

·
Banning is an art.
3,269 Posts
On 2001-11-07 09:00, phat555 wrote:
Henry, i mean i want to take out the clear plastic part and then paint the inner part so it matches the color of my car...how will i be able to do that thanks..
Okay, that's what I was describing in my post above; use either a heat gun or bake it in the oven...350F probably too high...try something like 150F...note, i have never tried this before so be careful....

·
Registered
109 Posts
hasn't someone took it off an replaced it with the black and white back lights...i foget what year the camry was, i think it was the se model during the gen 3 yrs. I just thought i remembered someone doing that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts