Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 Camry i4, 208,000
------------------

So cheap! And almost pristine, those R17 x 7's...!

I got four of those rims for just $80 from a guy who took them off his Nissan "Juke".

Not each, no. All FOUR.

Then today in my Calif area tires at Pick N Pull were just $10 each, so I got four 225/45/R17's for just $41 total.

Yeah, mixed brands, so that's ghetto, sure, but I'm PO' and that price is soooo good.

But still:

I'm a WHEEL DUMMY. I don't really know much about tires or rims, though there is a tribe who seemingly spends an hour from everyday pondering Wheel Matters.

Cart before the horse, yeah, but I just have to ask:

--> Will these even FIT a Camry...? Nervous. <--

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
2,679 Posts
99 Camry i4, 208,000
------------------

So cheap! And almost pristine, those R17 x 7's...!

I got four of those rims for just $80 from a guy who took them off his Nissan "Juke".

Not each, no. All FOUR.

Then today in my Calif area tires at Pick N Pull were just $10 each, so I got four 225/45/R17's for just $41 total.

Yeah, mixed brands, so that's ghetto, sure, but I'm PO' and that price is soooo good.

But still:

I'm a WHEEL DUMMY. I don't really know much about tires or rims, though there is a tribe who seemingly spends an hour from everyday pondering Wheel Matters.

Cart before the horse, yeah, but I just have to ask:

--> Will these even FIT a Camry...? Nervous. <--
A Quick check on tirerack.com the bolt pattern between the Nissan and your car are different.
Also the wheel offsets are as well.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
sdspeed, don't know where you got that from, Juke and Camry are 5x114.3.

The center bore is bigger on the Juke though, 66.1 vs 60.1. You would need to get 66.1 to 60.1 hub centric rings like below, or the wheel will not be centered and you will have problems with vibration that you will never be able to solve:

225 tire will fit on 7" rim but it's not ideal, 215 is the correct size for 7" (7.5 for 225). Did a quick search and looks like there are 2 possible offsets for Juke rims - ET35 and ET47. With ET47, there's a good chance 225 tire will rub slightly on the strut. With ET35 you'd be fine.

I had 225 tire on 17x7 ET50 Lexis IS300 rim and had to install 5mm spacers for it not to rub.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
2,679 Posts

The center bore is bigger on the Juke though, 66.1 vs 60.1. You would need to get 66.1 to 60.1 hub centric rings like below, or the wheel will not be centered and you will have problems with vibration that you will never be able to solve:

225 tire will fit on 7" rim but it's not ideal, 215 is the correct size for 7" (7.5 for 225). Did a quick search and looks like there are 2 possible offsets for Juke rims - ET35 and ET47. With ET47, there's a good chance 225 tire will rub slightly on the strut. With ET35 you'd be fine.

I had 225 tire on 17x7 ET50 Lexis IS300 rim and had to install 5mm spacers for it not to rub.
Slavie, good to know! That info was on the spec sheets from tirerack.com. Saw several Jukes, maybe some have a different pattern? Doubt it !

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

EXACTLY the info I needed, thank you. Yeah, I researched the bolt pattern problem that guy cited and I didn't know what he was talking about.

Do you know where I can buy a "Juke rim ET35 offset"...? I guess I need four of them?

I ordered the rings you linked to at Ebay.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I researched more about offset, that "ET" is a contraction of a German word, and this refers to the degree to which the rim center rotational plane differs in millieter distance from the physical connection to the car hub.

I looked at the inside of the rim and noted "47" --I believe this means that I have the more aggressive rim subtype that is not so amenable to the Camry.

I looked more on Ebay and found 12 mm aluminum offset spacers appropriate to the Camry. I have ordered those--apparently these spacers are inserted directly on the car hub, then on top of that one mounts the rim, with the effect that the whole wheel is pushed out an additional space, thereby clearing the strut in a tight turn scenario.

Does this understanding sound accurate to you? Because I've never done this and before yesterday I didn't know anything about wheels.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
You got it right on the offset. Yes, the wheels are usually stamped with "ET##" on the inside. If you're stuck with those wheels, mount the tires and put them on. In my case, I had ET50, and 5mm spacers were enough. ET50 vs ET47 is 3mm, so you may just get away with it. It it rubs, put your old wheels on while you wait for spacers to arrive.

If you do get spacers, make sure to get hub centric ones. 12mm is overkill if you ask me.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got it right on the offset. Yes, the wheels are usually stamped with "ET##" on the inside. If you're stuck with those wheels, mount the tires and put them on. In my case, I had ET50, and 5mm spacers were enough. ET50 vs ET47 is 3mm, so you may just get away with it. It it rubs, put your old wheels on while you wait for spacers to arrive.

If you do get spacers, make sure to get hub centric ones. 12mm is overkill if you ask me.
Generally how much does a SHOP charge to simply mount tires onto the rims? From Harbor Freight I bought the $39 DIY tire changer yet I have never used this contraption.

I want to have a ballpark idea of how much I would have to pay a shop to do it, in case I eff all this up. Whaddya think? Thank you for all your great help, so far.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,019 Posts
FWIW, each shop charges around 20$ per wheel to mount and balance. With the tire mount you got from HF, you need to get new valve stems. Not sure where you can get some. Maybe Amazon.

Just mix some dishwash soap and water and put it on the inner edge of the tire to slip around the rim. Install the valve stem before mounting the tire.

Might need a pry bar on the outer edge to mount it to the wheel. From here, add air.

Won't hurt to use a container of water to ensure there's no leaks in you new used set of tires.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
17" rims are around $15-20 ea to mount and balance. The manual tire changer will scratch up your rim, it's really only meant for steel rims and farm equipment, not for modern alloys. Also, if you've never changed a tire in your life - it's a miserable back breaking experience without proper tire changing equipment.

Don't forget you'll need to have the wheels balanced. I know that HF does sell a tire balancer, but, again, it doesn't do a very good job on larger modern car wheels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts