Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Driving till wheels fall off
2000 Camry XLE 1MZ
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so at about 356k miles my car blew the top radiator hose off the radiator while sitting in a fast food drive through. I was able to get the hose back on and refil the coolant with distilled water In order to drive the car 10 miles back home right after it happened. I’m going to replace the following parts and hopefully fix some oil leaks while I’m at it. I have parked the car permanently until I can get these repairs made. Side note I can hear some rattling noise coming from the timimg belt area. I’m assuming it is a bearing on one of the pulley’s.

Toyota Online Basic Camry Service Manual

ALREADY PURCHASED

Parts List :
RADIATOR DENSO 2210502 (221-0502) $86.97
UPPER RADIATOR HOSE GATES 22309 $11.70
LOWER RADIATOR HOSE GATES 22306 $12.74
RADIATOR CAP TOYOTA DEALER 16401-62090 $27.15
THERMOSTAT TOYOTA DEALER 90916-A3003 $28.58
THERMOSTAT GASGET TOYOTA DEALER 16325-62010. $7.07
NEW LONG LIFE TOYOTA COOLANT $29.54
SPARK PLUGS NGK 3452 $7.29 x 6 = $43.75
SPARK PLUG WIRES Denso 6716183 (671-6183) $35.74
WATER PUMP TIMING BELT IDLER PULLEY KIT $166.25
CAM SEALS $11.72 x 2 = $23.44
CRANK SEAL $15.91
TOYOTA FIPG GASKET SEALER $18.20
FRONT HUB BOLT 90942-02049. $4.71
FRONT HUB NUT. 90942-01058. $9.17

TOOLS:
LISLE SEAL PULLER 58430 $19.29
VALVE SPRING COMPRESSOR REMOVER SET $45.16
HUSKY E-TORX 12 PIECE SOCKET SET $27.22

NEED TO BE PURCHASED

AIR FILTER
FUEL FILTER
VALVE COVER GASKETS
VALVE STEM SEALS
INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKETS
PCV AND GROMMET
KNOCK SENSORS
KNOCK SENSOR HARNESS
COOLANT BYPASS HOSE UNDER INTAKE MANIFOLD
ALTERNATOR BELT
POWER STEERING BELT
TIRES
BRAKES

Before I start buying parts I’m going to do a compression test on the front three cylinders and I have the blue liquid exhaust gas text kit for checking coolant to see if there is a blown head gasket so I’ll test for that as well to make sure the engine still has enough equitable life left worth the cost and effort of replacing all these parts.

Can any one think of or offer any suggestions as to other areas of concern that I should look into or parts that I may have over looked which should be replaced while I have the engine all tore down. I’d hate to do all this work and miss something simple that I can easily do while the engine is tore apart.

I have seen several people mention using a washer on the valve cover bolts to get a good snug torque on the valve covers with out having to buy new valve cover bolts.

I plan on using OEM parts and the Aisin belt/pump/pulley’s kit and ordering as many parts on line as possible and go to the dealer for parts I can’t find online. I’ll add part numbers later this evening once I get them all figure out. I have a Japanese built car so I’ll have the make sure I order the correct parts if their is any difference from a USA built car.

Used parts finder:

www.car-part.com

·
2000 Camry XLE 1MZ
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure how to determine life of radiator out side of the obvious visuals like external core or tank end leaks and or corrosion build up inside the radiator. The hoses are not cracked and seem pretty rubbery still. The top hose is pretty soft though but is that something I should replace if the hoses still look good with out any cracks or signs of abnormal wear?

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,817 Posts
"with out any cracks or signs of abnormal wear?" - do you mean besides the one that blew? For me, that means they are all done (and ready to be replaced)

·
2000 Camry XLE 1MZ
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hose popped off. I did not replace any parts as of yet. I can replace the hoses but that will eat into the parts cost. I’m not rich by any means hence why I drive a Camry but I surely can’t afford a break down when I least expect it either. I understand If they are done then they are done. I’m just trying to save a buck or two this month while I do this repair.

·
2000 Camry XLE 1MZ
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about valve guide seals or is there a way to adjust the lifters on these engines?

·
イリジウム
13,368 Posts
At 356K miles the valve stem seals should be replaced if you're doing a complete timing belt job and getting to the hose under the intake manifold. The stem seals will require special tools. You might also want to consider RTV'ing the coolant valley plate while at it. And some of the valve clearances may be getting out of spec, particularly the exhausts that tend to narrow.

However, I'd first investigate the hose blowing off. It shouldn't do that, given the radiator cap IS a relief valve. How's the condition of the radiator? Find two Gates hoses (upper and lower radiator hoses) on rockauto. And if you determine the engine is otherwise in good condition to install all those parts, here are some suggestions (not a complete list). You can also find online Toyota dealers for OE parts.

FEL-PRO cam seal set TCS45889 $7.55
FEL-PRO front crank seal TCS46195 $2.43
AISIN TKT004 Timing kit water pump, w/o hydraulic tensioner $111.99
(or AISIN TKT024 Timing kit water pump, w/ hydraulic tensioner $152.79)

Gates lower radiator hose $11.61
Gates upper radiator hose $10.50
(I recommend the original constant-tension spring clamps from the dealer)
GATES 12148 bypass hose (under intake) $7.99

AISIN THT019 thermostat $13.41
AISIN THP101 thermostat gasket $2.21
STANT 10233 radiator cap $2.60
DENSO 2210502 radiator $79.79

GATES K060407 Alt/AC belt $10.69
GATES K040347 PS belt $11.90
(or BANDO 6PK1035 $6.85 and BANDO 4PK880 $4.83)

FEL-PRO SS72878 valve stem seals $38.79 regular inventory ($21.99 closeout deal).
FEL-PRO VS50471R valve cover gasket set wwith spark plug tube seals $19.87

NGK 6741 Laser Iridium spark plug $8.54 each
NGK 7783 wire set $30.79

Verify your applicataion:

And use the rockauto 5% off code, scroll to the newest post:

·
2000 Camry XLE 1MZ
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know how the coils and fuel pump fuses are labeled. I want to pull those prior to doing a compression test. I see a fuse that says EFI

·
イリジウム
13,368 Posts
One member's 1MZ stem seal with the lever type spring compressor (the exhausts on the rear bank will be tight because of the angle and the firewall):

One member's recent work on a 4-cyl (similar) shims and stem seals:

more DIY on stem seals:

·
イリジウム
13,368 Posts
IIRC, EFI will do. The Circ Opening Relay is cycled by the ECU to control the fuel pump, but EFI should (again, IIRC) disable power to that relay. You can pull it too just in case.

I also updated a parts list above.

Does anyone know how the coils and fuel pump fuses are labeled. I want to pull those prior to doing a compression test. I see a fuse that says EFI

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,817 Posts
"is there a way to adjust the lifters on these engines?"

Talking with the Toyota master tech who helped me rebuild my engine, he said he'd rarely seen a Toyota engine that needed valve shim adjustment. Something about the way the engineers matched the lifter / cam wear with the valve seat recession rate.

Definitely check yours, to be sure, but its possible you'll find they are not going to require redoing, unless you have to have the head faces milled by a machine shop (and if so, have them re-shim the valves when they do it).

x2 on replacing the valve seals, as they will be well past their date with that many miles on.

·
2000 Camry XLE 1MZ
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Compression is above 200 psi on all three front bank cylinders. Plugs look very good for having 125k on them since I’ve owned the vehicle :)

·
2000 Camry XLE 1MZ
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The previous owners uncle was a master mechanic and convinced the owner to use Mobil 1 synthetic oil so I have followed all oil changes with 100% synthetic Mobil 1 5w-30. I don’t want to count my chickens before they hatch but so far from checking the front three cylinders compression I’d say this engine deserves some more love and investment of parts. I could not take the exhaust gas liquid leak test because my tester tubes were crumbled into a lot of little pieces :/

·
2000 Camry XLE 1MZ
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure if this is a new issue from doing the compression test but now the car is idling high for some reason. I did not disconnect the battery when I unplugged the coil packs. I hope that did not cause any problems. I pulled the 15a EFI fuse and verified the engine would not start prior to starting the compression test.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
8,208 Posts
The ecm will take a little time to re-calibrate since pulling the EFI clears it's cache memory.
If you didn't have any codes prior to the compression test you shouldn't have any now.
Since you were working in a busy environment take a look for any vacuum hoses that aren't secure or may have some damage. A vacuum will increase idle rpms.

·
Administrator
14,395 Posts
With the regular oil changes, you’ll probably find all the valve clearances are in spec. However I’d still recommend pulling the cams and buckets out to replace the valve stem seals. The parts are about $20-$40, depending on what brand you pick. Like JohnGD mentioned, the FelPros are on clearance for $22 on Rockauto. I’d grab those while they’re still available.

If you’re not pulling the heads, the Lisle 36050 valve keeper removal/install tool ($60) I used in the thread JohnGD mentioned works great! To keep the valves from dropping, you can either use compressed air with a special hose screwed into the spark plug hole, or stuff thin rope into the spark plug hole and raise the piston up to squish it into the valves.

·
2000 Camry XLE 1MZ
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
First things first I want to extend a huge thank you for all the help so far to all you guys. sdspeed , norm356, JohnGD & BMR Thank you :)

Ok I don’t want to get ahead of myself here and feel like I will have more questions as I move along and progress through this adventure.

I want to do a few things before I start disassembling the whole top and side of the engine as well as start ordering and buying parts and tools.

Plan of attack :

1. Clean the entire engine bay. I have some purple power concentrate that gets mixed with water to dilute the strength of the solution. I would like to spray this degreaser all over the engine bay and areas that have oil build up from leaks. I’m aware that I should not spray any electrical connectors directly with either degreaser or pressure washer. Is there any risk or concerns of degreasing the engine and engine bay with use of purple power and pressure washer?

2. I would like to do a coolant flush before I strip all these old parts off the engine. Is there a trusted coolant flush I can use with out having to worry that it might cause issues with eating into head gaskets etc? I will be removing and replacing any bad cooling parts consisting of top/bottom radiator hoses, radiator cap, T-stat and quite possibly the radiator. Only the top radiator hose looks as if it has been stretched or ballooned out. The bottom hose still feels pretty thick and not soft or squishy like the top hose. I’m thinking this might indicate the radiator has some clogged cores but don’t want to rule out a sticking T-stat. I just don’t understand why both hoses would not have ballooned if the T-stat is sticking closed unless it’s because the fluid going to the bottom hose has been cooled before it reaches the bottom hose.

3. Rule out Cooling fans as a problem. Is there a sure fire way to determine if the fans or fan sensors / switches are working as they should?

My thoughts :

I will definitely dig into those valve lifter shim measuring / replacing and valve stem seal replacement threads when I get to that point in this journey. Thank you for the valve guide sale suggestion. I’m not sure I feel good about using fell pro guides. Those are a real pita to do and I don’t want to have to redo this job twice because of me choosing to use cheaper internal parts on a very critical area. One thing at a time. I definitely want to be as methodical and diagnostic as possible so I’ll understand why the hose popped off. Then I can order parts to correct the issue so it won’t keep causing future problems. That being said I’d like to get this figured out before I dig further into the mechanical internals of valve guides/shims etc.

Radiator :

Do people still have these radiators cleaned anymore or when they are aluminum and plastic are they just considered consumables and recycled as scrap these days?

·
2000 Camry XLE 1MZ
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are a couple pics of the front 3 spark plugs and compression readings. Last pic is out of orientation sorry for that.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts