Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal. I lent my 2002 corolla to my little brother and my mom. Idk what happened but some how they managed to blow up the motor. They cracked the block eh -_-. I figured since this happened i matters well just convert it over to manual since i will enjoy the car more. If anyone has any tips on doing this or what parts will work. I heard of the celica having a similar motor?? not sure please help me out

thanks
-jeff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pass threads suggested that it cost more to swap to manual than to buy a manual car.
i understand that but i still owe money on this car and i will be doing all the work myself. besides not to be rude but i didnt make this thread to have people tell me to buy a manual car.

·
Beware of pigs
Little Pig
2,446 Posts
i understand that but i still owe money on this car and i will be doing all the work myself. besides not to be rude but i didnt make this thread to have people tell me to buy a manual car.
Not judging you - been there done that. I was told the same by two shops I usually go to when I shopped for my manual swap.
Outstanding financing? Hard to believe you still owe money on a Corolla after 8 years. :whatthe:
I did shop for some stick 2001 at the time (once in early 2006 and again in early 2007), but I would be getting 5k for Little Pig and those stick '01 would run me 8.5k. Final tally for swapping Little Pig comes to 2.7k.

To pull it off yourself you will need some heavy equipment, and some one-time-use tool to pull it off. There will be heavy investment in them if you cannot rent or borrow them. Also mandatory is a garage with a roof. Skill wise, the hardest is that you need to be able to drill three holes through the firewall in tight quarters, precisely, for the clutch master cylinder. Trouble is, you will miss 2 of the mount points needed for the clutch pedal assembly.

On the bright side, after you have gone through the entire process, you will be able to work on most aspects of your car. The car lose dozens of pounds which helps with performance and gas mileage if not by much. (Manual swap is a known, listed mod over at ecomodder :D ) You will be tighter bonded with your car after what you've gone through with it, gives you a motive to care of it well and pay it off sooner. And a car well cared for will take care of you well. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not judging you - been there done that. I was told the same by two shops I usually go to when I shopped for my manual swap.
Outstanding financing? Hard to believe you still owe money on a Corolla after 8 years. :whatthe:
I did shop for some stick 2001 at the time (once in early 2006 and again in early 2007), but I would be getting 5k for Little Pig and those stick '01 would run me 8.5k. Final tally for swapping Little Pig comes to 2.7k.

To pull it off yourself you will need some heavy equipment, and some one-time-use tool to pull it off. There will be heavy investment in them if you cannot rent or borrow them. Also mandatory is a garage with a roof. Skill wise, the hardest is that you need to be able to drill three holes through the firewall in tight quarters, precisely, for the clutch master cylinder. Trouble is, you will miss 2 of the mount points needed for the clutch pedal assembly.

On the bright side, after you have gone through the entire process, you will be able to work on most aspects of your car. The car lose dozens of pounds which helps with performance and gas mileage if not by much. (Manual swap is a known, listed mod over at ecomodder :D ) You will be tighter bonded with your car after what you've gone through with it, gives you a motive to care of it well and pay it off sooner. And a car well cared for will take care of you well. :thumbsup:

well i just got lucky. my close buddy has a cousin that owns a junkyard and has a 2000 corolla 5speed with the same motor n everything. My buddy said he can probably get me the whole car for less than 1000$ because it was rolled and crashed so the body is shot. i will have all the parts i need to do the swap. but how hard exactly is it to drill the holes and where exactly do i drill them?

·
Joined the dark side. :D
8,838 Posts
^ now there is something U could have said in your original post. You r having a big advantage and cut cost that most of us don't have.

Don't forget to do a write up 4 others that want to do the same.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ now there is something U could have said in your original post. You r having a big advantage and cut cost that most of us don't have.

Don't forget to do a write up 4 others that want to do the same.
I honestly didnt know about the wrecked toyota til this morning. i will try my best to do a full write up with pictures.

·
Registered
321 Posts
If the donor car's firewall is straight on the driver's side, you could torch/saw it out and use it as a drilling template for your car, or use it to create a nice drill jig that you could then lend to others wanting to do the same swap. Just make sure you have all the good parts off of it first before you start cutting. You may need the brake pedal assembly to go along with the clutch assembly, for example. Also, do the firewall work on your car with the powertrain out so you have more room to work.

If you're getting the whole car for $1000, you might be able to make that back in selling the rest of the parts. This could end up being a "free" swap for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the donor car's firewall is straight on the driver's side, you could torch/saw it out and use it as a drilling template for your car, or use it to create a nice drill jig that you could then lend to others wanting to do the same swap. Just make sure you have all the good parts off of it first before you start cutting. You may need the brake pedal assembly to go along with the clutch assembly, for example. Also, do the firewall work on your car with the powertrain out so you have more room to work.

If you're getting the whole car for $1000, you might be able to make that back in selling the rest of the parts. This could end up being a "free" swap for you.
thanks man thats a great idea. i mean i also have my old Auto trans i could sell. I was wondering if the axels are the same or not. any idea? i havent gotten the parts car yet. im still waiting for the insurance company to give clearance to my freinds salvage yard so i can get my hands on it.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sorry, no idea on the halfshafts. Toyota likes common parts, so they may work, but you may end up bringing those over from the donor car, too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, no idea on the halfshafts. Toyota likes common parts, so they may work, but you may end up bringing those over from the donor car, too.
ok i figured as much. eh im back on the search. he finially got a chance to go the car and the motor and trans isnt in as good shape as he thought. lol thank god im not in a rush.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts