Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wat up this is Dr. Green,

I just bought a 2006 Toyota Camry SE, and I'm new to this forum fam. I want to add an aftermarket stereo in my car, so I got couple of questions.

1) Where is the stock JBL amplifier located? and how do I take it out?
2) Is there a special Wire Harness to bypass the stock JBL amplifier?
3) What kind of speakers are in the front and dash? Is it 6"x9" and tweeters?
4) Is there a adapter for the steering wheel column audio controls?
5) Is there a stereo kit toyota makes for a double din into single dins?

The stereo equipment i got now is a JVC deck, and component tweeters. I would appreciate if someone could help me with these questions. Thanks

I don't know what gen my car falls into.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Welcome to TN.

Check to see if your car has the prewired amplifier bypass harness. You'll have to pull out the CD player to check.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t70082.html

The harness to buy that plugs into the prewired bypass harness is linked in that thread.

The front doors have a 6x9" mid in the door. I believe the dash speakers are 3.5" I could be wrong though, it could be smaller.

There are several different steering wheel controls adapters available from PAC

The PAC SWI-X is a univeral one that should work well for your headunit.

This adapter works for your year(Gen5.5) camry

http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOTA1468B

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Before you go and do this, look at the bottom side of the speakers from teh trunk.

They might be 2 ohm speakers. If they are, you will need to replace all the speakers in your car before you can use the new head unit. The other option would be to get an aftermarket amp and run new wires...

If not, your head unit might not work properly

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your inputs. Sorry I came off like I didn't know what I'm talking about. I install car stereos not as a job but for fun. Since I just purchased this car I just wanted to know what I will be up against.

Cam2xrunner you gave me a link to how to bypass the factory amplifier, within that link I seen you said that TOYOTA makes a stereo dash kit with a single din on top and a compartment with door on the bottom. I was wondering if there is a kit availabe from Toyota? Does it fit the 2006 Camry? If so, what is the part #?

Thanks for all the help guys

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
The pocket w/door is a commonly used part on a few different models. You will most likely have to have them look it up for a 93 camry or an avalon, or corolla.

A 93 Camry DX should have one for sure.

If you have a double din opening than you can use it.

·
Registered
Camry
6,925 Posts
Before you go get the pocket...

Gen 5 Camry is slightly different because the OE stereo is wider than a regular DIN size of aftermarket stereo.

Don't get a Toyota pocket because you'll need more than that to install the stereo. You will need to go get a dash kit from a stereo install place or online for 2002 and newer Camry.

For example: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=265-839

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Touring Camry. Wasn't Really Aware Of The Kit But I Will Look Into That. I Also Was Wondering What Did You Do With The Rear Speaker (6x9's) Distortion Problem. Did You Buy Speaker Baffles For It Or Did You Just Leave The Speakers In? I Agree With You That I Am Leaving The Rear Speakers But Maybe I Have To Step The Size Of The Speaker To A 6-3/4" Coaxial Or Something Like That. But From My Understanding, If You Tune The Speakers And Subs Correctly There Should Be Any Distortion Or Cancellation. I Never In My Years Of Installing Car Stereos, Never Took Out The Rear Speakers Because Of Subwoofers.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Touring Camry. Do they make a double din dash kit for the Camry?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts