Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought car at 55,000 miles. Its a 6 speed manual. Decided to change transmission fluid at 60,000. pulled Drain plug nothing came out. I figured someone at Walmart or Toyota had mistaken drain plug for oil drain plug. Previous owner had records of oil changes from both. completed fluid change and made sure everything was tight. Checked for leaks by driving around the block a couple of times. did not notice anything. Fast forward 1000 miles later, noticed oil pooling on top of tranny around this bolt. see picture. cleaned oil and inspected area. unloosed this bolt to see if it was loose. didn't really come off easy to indicate it was loose but easier than i believed it should of have. tranny made a hissing sound like trapped air was escaping when bolt was pulled. re tighten to 30 ft-lbs. inspected drain plug seemed fine. noticed hairline cracks on casing. around top bolt and drain plug. Alright im gonna ask, although i believe i know the answer. Are these cracks normal? They do not look normal. im gonna drain fluid again and redo the fluid change. try to pin point the leak exactly. but im at a loss. i worry that driving this with no fluid for as long as we did has cracked the tranny. and the fluid im seeing is escaping from these cracks. these pics are after i wiped it up ill take before pics next time.thank you for your time.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
That's a nasty crack in the housing. Hit the ground pretty hard.

I don't think that can be repaired. Sorry, but a new trans will be in your future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I found it this way. I’m assuming with no fluid, for however long it ran, has cracked this case. So now I’m trying to figure out exactly which transmission I’m needing. Any help? Is the c66?

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
Yep, a new transmission is in your near future.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Look on your under hood label or the cert label on the door jamb. The trans code is listed under A/TR or something similar to that.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Ouch indeed.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,328 Posts
Found it. Thank guys..new transmission on the way. $2700 ouch...
$2700?? Ouch!!! I would have looked for a used one. I've seen low mileage used ones for under $1000. I saw one a few months ago with 2700 miles for $1100 from a total that was rear ended.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought about buying a used one decided against it. Mainly because I have terrible luck. I’d spent 1000 and the thing would be broken I swear. Just look at this car lol Bought with cash thought I was doing good. Got screwed. I even thought about jus buying the case at 700. 2700 was jus the tranny through the dealer. I’ll be doing the swap.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Op, did you buy the vehicle from a dealer?

·
Registered
21 Posts
go to car-part.com and search the wrecked auto parts close to you. i've found great used engines and transmissions and anything i need for my cars for WAY less this way

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's a nasty crack in the housing. Hit the ground pretty hard.

I don't think that can be repaired. Sorry, but a new trans will be in your future.
Did his happen from the car bottom hitting the ground? Just got a slightly used Corolla IM and it's lower than expected and seems to touch bottom in our gravel drive (the Matrix never did that). Wouldn't want to have to deal with that type of issue.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Looks more like it fell off jack stands without the wheels on when it hit the ground. But then, the bottom of the trans would have evidence.

I don't know if that actually happened.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts