Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm trying to replace the front speakers and also add rear speakers. 6.5' on all 4. I'm trying to avoid getting it installed by someone else because i want to learn how. I'm wondering how to remove the front door panels and also where the rear speaker wires are located. Also is there anything I should know about before trying this? Any help or links to sites with instructions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
190 Posts
you need shims for the front speakers
about ¾ wide. my friend had them installed by a shop
for the rear, why dont you get 6x9 ?? they fit right in tha hole
the wires are hidden under the panel. if you get an amp, i suggest you to put new wires

·
Registered
5 Posts
how do you get the front door speakers out? it looks as if they are riveted on the door itself? i've heard of people drilling those rivets off, but is that the only way to do it? i am also trying to swap out those speakers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You have to drill off the rivets tops. Use a drill bit just smaller than the rivet top. Once the tops are off just push out the rivets, you don't want to drill through since you will need the metal to attach the adapters. The speakers at the front are 5 ¼ but with the adapters you can fit 6 ½ . I used a Metra adapter that works perfectly, 82-3412. www.metraonline.com Be careful with the depth of the speaker if you use 6 ½ s. It runs real close to the glass when the windows are down. It is surprising how much better the factory radio sounds with real speakers. Also be careful removing the arm rest pads or you will break the retaining tabs (if you do, the back seat pads fit on the front....)

·
Registered
48 Posts
for the front speakers you only need to remove the door panel. DO NOT DRILL ANYTHING OUT! you'll ruin your car. just remove theinside panel, and youll see it right there. unscrew it and screw the new speaker in. its simple. same with the back you have to remove the whole back panel along with the 3rd brake light. do that first btw then remove the panel and you can get to your rear speakers

·
Camry driver
2002 Camry XLE
12 Posts
TOYOTACOROLLA said:
for the front speakers you only need to remove the door panel. DO NOT DRILL ANYTHING OUT! you'll ruin your car. just remove theinside panel, and youll see it right there. unscrew it and screw the new speaker in. its simple.
For the 2000 Corolla CE, it's not that simple. The front stock speakers have brackets riveted on the door frame. I'm planning to replace my front speakers. If I don't find any alternate method, I will probably go ahead and drill the rivets off. :confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just drill out the rivets. Nothing bad will happen. I ended up putting in Polk 6.5's in the front and 6.75's in the back with some dynamat door kits to clean up the sound a little more. Everything sounds great and it's easy to do. The rear deck is kind of a pain, but it isn't too bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts