Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed small amounts of gearbox fluid leaking out of our 2001 echo (1.3L man trans), where the passenger side driveshaft protrudes through the gearbox.

I assume that it’s the oil seal, and would like to do the job myself providing there are not too many pitfalls along the way. So before committing to the repair, I’d like to know a bit , particularly on driveshaft removal / installation before diving in.

My questions are……

1). I recall the drive shafts have some sort of retainer clip that hold them in the gearbox. How do I access these for the removal of the drive shafts ?

2). Will the oil seal be a part of the driveshaft or the gearbox. If it’s part of the gearbox, then how do I remove it ?

3). Can only one driveshaft be removed or do both suckers have to come out ?

If there is any other area that might need special attention, then please let me know.

Steve

·
Registered
2005 Echo Hatchback
354 Posts
Not impossible to do at home; to remove 1 take off tire, unbolt lower ball joint and big axle nut (might need a special key to remove axle nut 30mm 24pt in Canada), pull off the disc and hub from axle, pull axle out of trans. change seal (pressed into transmission/differential) to install new one you'll want to find something to press in evenly. now the tricky part, reinsert axle (might take a few tries to get it all lined up) put it through the hub tighten a new nut, put on the wheel and drive away
-Stevo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts