Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble getting a 1994 2.2 liter Camry started. Since the car is my mother's, and she is over an hour away, I asked her to have someone listen for the fuel pump to buzz when the key was turned. The person did not hear the buzz, so I ordered the pump, strainer, and a new filter. I swapped everything out today. I go to start, and the same problem exists.

So I went to check for spark, and could see any. It was very sunny outside, so it was hard to tell for sure. I know fuel is getting to the engine. I ordered a new cap and rotor and installed them. No change.

I took the ignitor off of the strut tower and brought it home with me. I was wondering if there is any way to test the ignitor before I just replace it. I checked for continuity between all the pins, and there was none.

Can anyone tell me if you can test the ignitor?

Thank you in advance

·
club momentum moves you !
06 Tacoma X-Runner
456 Posts
check the distributor for an internal oil leak, and try to see if the coil looks oily/cracked. igniter very rarely fails ime.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply shook.

The coil appeared to be ok (dry). I think I am going to just replace both - the coil and the ignitor. I am going to take a run to 2 junkyards and see if I can find these parts. If not, I'll buy them from autozone. The coil was $37 and the ignitor was about $140.

I noticed a sensor inside the distributor. I am assuming that is a cam sensor. Do these ever fail? Are these available from somewhere other than the dealer?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured I would post the result for the archives.

I bought a new ignitor and coil. I tried the ignitor, no start. I changed the coil, fired right up.

The coil is only $40, so start with the cheapest thing first! I started to take the coil out, but had a bitch_of a time getting the back 2 screws out (I didn't have all of my tools with me). So I said_screw it and put the ignitor in. Once it didn't start, I was forced to put the coil in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shook -

You were right about the cail. I was going to try that first, but had a bitch_of a time getting it out. I got pissed and said_screw it, I'm trying the ignitor.

The parts guys said they'd take the ignitor back if I didn't break the seal on the box (I asked them to tape it up for me incase I didn;t need it).

So i lost my patience, and it cost me $140 for the ignitor - but the car is running well.

Thanks again

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Have you checked the EFI fuse? Did you say you were getting spark or no?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts