Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
_ _ _ _ _
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving home and 3 blocks away from my house... I am at 30 in 2nd and I go up to 5k rpm and go to shift into 3rd.... and cluck, that was it. The car was still on but it didn't shift into 3nd gear. The shifter only moves up and down... with extreme ease.. almost as if it isn't connected to anything. And the shifter refused to move left and right at all. The car is stuck in 2nd gear and will not shift into another gear or out of 2nd. SOMEONE HELP. I ran a search and I see that people have had this common problem with the shifter cable breaking? wtf? Why would the shifter cable just snap like that, and is that the case with me? How can I know for sure, it's dark out, I will check tomorrow, where do I look and what do I look for. PLEASE HELP!!! I need this car to commute everywhere.. school, work, etc.

·
Registered
219 Posts
the shifter cable in my 92 na went and i had the same problem. didnt hear anything. just all of a sudden i could only move the shifter forward and backward but it stayed in gear. and i couldnt only move it f/b in the 3-4 position. i didnt have access to the other gears.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Make sure you check that the cables haven't come off the spindles on the tranny. If a cotter pin broke or wasn't replaced that can happen.

·
Registered
219 Posts
sorry i didnt reply earlier. i didnt really fix it. i was getting a swap done at mr2warehouse a few wks later so i just drove it there in 4th gear (clutch smelled REAL nice) and let it sit. dave just replaced the one cable when he did the swap.

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
asifmbadar said:
I replaced it today, car is back on the road and looking and feeling good, thank god!
All right! Pretty easy job on an NA. You have to get a bit dirtier to do it on a turbo. My gf drove her car 70 miles with a broken shifter cable stuck in 2nd gear :lol:... she was pretty pissed. I made her drive because I had no license.... she had to go between 30-40mph. :disappoin

·
Registered
1 Posts
the shifter cable in my 92 na went and i had the same problem. didnt hear anything. just all of a sudden i could only move the shifter forward and backward but it stayed in gear. and i couldnt only move it f/b in the 3-4 position. i didnt have access to the other gears.
I have the exact same thing happening to me right now, let me know how you fixed it please.

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo
19,831 Posts
I have the exact same thing happening to me right now, let me know how you fixed it please.
He hasn't logged of for 11yrs. I don't think he's ever coming back.
You have 2 choices. If your cable is not broken, but just stuck, you can remove it and stand it up vertically and use an oil penetrent to free it up.

If the cable is broken, you'll just have to replace it.
Oh, Welcome to TNation. :welcome:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts