Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to install a Kenwood dnx-5120 last night and it doesnt work. I have the correct wire harness for my jbl crap and i hooked everything up right. When i try to turn it on, there is nothing. The head unit will not turn on. I'm wondering if maybe i got a faulty harness, or a faulty head unit. Does anyone know something i might be forgetting? I checked all my fuses and they are good. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You.

·
the noblest
324 Posts
i would first check all the connections, especially power and ground, i thought my whole system didnt work and then found it to just be a faulty ground...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I second that...check the power and ground cables. The same thing has happened to me on a few occasions and after doing plenty of testing I found it to be a grounding issue. If you still can't find anything, try completely wiring your own ground (bypassing any ground path included in the wiring harness). I have had a problem with the harness being grounded to an improper ground source. If you have a voltage meter, it helps a lot to test for a solid ground. Another problem I have run into is wiring the power to the red wire on the harness (sometimes labeled "positive +") instead of the yellow one labeled "ACC". The yellow wire is the proper one. If these things are all correct, just go to every connection, ensure the right connections, and ensure that all required wires are terminated somewhere. I have had my share of frustrations with stereo installs but they have all ended up working after troubleshooting connections and power issues and fuses. Good luck!

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
If you have the JBL system, you need an aftermarket harness. You don't have a JBL do you?

·
Don't be stupid you moron
2007 Tacoma DC 4x4
133 Posts
check the fuses as well that are directly related to the new Kenwood deck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your replies. I do have the JBL system and i have the correct harness. The harness, however, had a faulty connection in itself. The spot in the harness where two yellow wires run into and plug into the little box thing was not working. I took it appart and fixed the problem. I guess a test light can really come in handy! Thanks again for the help and quick replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts