Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '91 Camry and the moonroof is stuck halfway open. The motor runs and opens it all the way but when closing it gets stuck halfway. I know the button has to be pushed twice but that is not the problem. I tried manually closing it with a screwdriver as suggested in the owners manual and even removed the motor thinking the roof would slide.

I appears to be hanging up on the right side. When I took the motor off I could see where the two cables run in opposite directions past the gear. If I move the moonroof one cable slides and the other doesnt. Im thinking one cable may be broken and jammed. I even tried "slamming" the roof shut because with the motor disconnected it slides easily but hits a rock solid stop about 2/3 of the way closed.

I have to get it shut before it rains.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Good Instructions - that's a lot more info than my Haynes manual had. At this point I'm not concerned with getting it repaired as much as I am getting it closed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a flat head screw bolt that you can see if you pop off the cover for the motor switch/dome light. If you undo that bolt,
it allows access to a recessed bolt that can be turned with the flat head screwdriver in the tool set. It should manually allow you to crank the window closed. (This is a fix for a dead motor, however, a stuck or broken cable will not allow this method to work) Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried the emergency screw thing and it didn't work because the cable was broken or jammed or both. I ended up removing the black u-shaped cable guide piece at the front (working from outside the car) and managed to pull that piece away and free up the cable. The sunroof is now inoperable but at least it is closed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts