Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm a newbie on the toyota forums. I normally lurk around the diesel stop for performance and maintence issues on my powerstroke but I'm having trouble with my toyota pickup.

Today after about 20 minutes of driving the truck started bucking, at first I thought it was the clutch but it seems to be a motor/fuel delivery problem etc. It would buck in all gears, at times I could put the pedal to the floor and it would do nothing then it would accelerate for a second or so then flat line again. after a few minutes it cleared up. On my way back home after about 20 minutes driving it started it again. I would put it in neutral and try to rev it and would get the same acceleration flatline symptoms. When I got it home I popped the hood and played with it a little. it seemed when I opened the air filter box and fiddled with the flapper in the intake hose it helped a little. Tomorrrow I plan to change the fuel filter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I checked for codes and got none. changed plugs and wires about 2 months ago.
It is a 92 pickup 4cyl EFI 5spd.

Thanks

·
Offical Truck Nut
1990 Toyota
428 Posts
no go

Change your fuel filter , mine did the same thing . its infront of the passanger side back tire.

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
if its a 22re its under the intake manifold. id say it needs a major tune up. plugs wires fuel filter air filter. cap and rotor. also run some injector cleaner through before you change the fuel filter. otherwise all the crap that busts loose before the filter will get stuck in the new one.

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
Daily,

How many miles on the truck?

Just curious.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Truck has approx 115,000 miles. Just did plugs and wires and air filter is new. I just picked up a fuel filter from oreilly's this afternoon I guess I'll run some sea foam through the motor before I change it.

Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the worst location for a fuel filter I have ever seen. You have to be a woman or a man with tiny hands to reach it. I got it done but my arms are beet red from wedging my arms in whatever gaps I could find to remove and replace the filter. I think I'll stick to working on Diesels and only due necessary maintenance to this vehicle.

Hopefully this will fix the problem. I also ran 1/3 pint of sea foam through the brake booster line to clean the injectors and put the remainder of the bottle in the fuel tank.

Thanks for all the help

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
Daily,

Plz be sure and update the rest of us about your fix. Did it work?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I think it worked.
I drove 130miles round trip to work and back today and it only acted up once very quickly.
I'm starting to think I got some bad gas but who knows. The sea foam trick seems to work pretty good. after you put it in the vacuum line you shut off the motor and wait 5min then start it back up. It has some noxious fumes for 10-15min with white smoke but a fair amount of soot dripped out of the tail pipe. I't is supposed to clean the injectors pretty well. the truck seemed to have better throttle response this morning(whether it is from a new and unclogged filter or from cleaner injectors I don't know) The other thing I noticed was the throttle wasn't sticking going from idle to acceleration like it normally does.

Thanks for all the help It would have taken me hours to locate the darned thing without this site.

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
Daily,

Sucking Sea Foam thru a vacuum line will not clean your injectors. To do this, you need the cleaner to do through the fuel rail and into the injectors.

It would, however, help with your sticky throttle.

I hope the truck is running well now!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That makes sense. I was just going by the directions on the bottle. I know in my powerstroke I just fill the fuel filter housing with a can but your right that would go straight to the injectors where as through the vacuum line it would just come in with the intake air...right?

·
Banned
Camry / 2WD Pickup
601 Posts
Dailydrivr said:
That makes sense. I was just going by the directions on the bottle. I know in my powerstroke I just fill the fuel filter housing with a can but your right that would go straight to the injectors where as through the vacuum line it would just come in with the intake air...right?
Daily,

Actually, I may have misspoken about the sticky throttle. It would depend on whether the vacuum line you put the cleaner in enters the system upstream or downstream of the Intake Air Throttle valve.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Digger1 said:
Daily,

Actually, I may have misspoken about the sticky throttle. It would depend on whether the vacuum line you put the cleaner in enters the system upstream or downstream of the Intake Air Throttle valve.
I used the line from the brake booster.

·
Registered
86 Posts
when you use the line throught the brake booster all your really doing is cleaning out the manifold and cylinders because that line is after the throtle body.. in my experience i have noticed that if you get some carb cleaner and a tooth brush and you removed the intake tube from the front of the throttle body and clean it with the sray and tooth brush and wait an hour or so untill it drys up then the response will be better not to mention the TB wont stick anymore

1 - 13 of 13 Posts