Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
4u2nv
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I have a 2004 camry and i'm looking for rims for it. Tried to search... no luck.

My question is, is it possible to fit 18x9.5 on the back? or is that too wide?
If it is possible, should I go 18x8.5 or 18x7.5 for the front?

Does anyone have suggestions... what is the widest I can go?

thnx in advance.

This is what i'm going for...

·
Killa Clean Gen 3
Camry
717 Posts
My question is, is it possible to fit 18x9.5 on the back ? or is that too wide?If it is possible, should I go 18x8.5 or 18x7.5 for the front?

Why the hell are you trying to put wider rims on the rear? I DIDN'T KNOW THE CAMRY WAS A REAR WHEEL DRIVE CAR! :lol:

You put wider rims on the rear for a rear wheel drive car, what your talking about is stupid. If you were to even consider getting wider rims anywhere on your car ( which you shouldn't seeing how you not pushing any real power) you would put them on the front since it is a front wheel drive car! :slap:

·
4u2nv
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gen3cruiser said:
Why the hell are you trying to put wider rims on the rear? I DIDN'T KNOW THE CAMRY WAS A REAR WHEEL DRIVE CAR! :lol:

You put wider rims on the rear for a rear wheel drive car, what your talking about is stupid.
I'm just trying to go as wide as possible without rubbing. I want them wider in the back just for looks.

Do you recommend I go with the same size all around?

·
Registered
290 Posts
well you could have the same width of the rims but different offset to make the back wheels "pop out" closer to the fenders more. I mean those supra wheels are wide but it's not all width that makes it look wide. It's that +5 to +8 mm offset that makes them seem even wider. I have 17x7 all around and they are too small for me. A bit too skinny too. the front's okay but the back wheels seems like bicycle wheel to me. Even tho they are 225 45 17's.

·
RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG
516 Posts
Gen3cruiser said:
You put wider rims on the rear for a rear wheel drive car, what your talking about is stupid. If you were to even consider getting wider rims anywhere on your car ( which you shouldn't seeing how you not pushing any real power) you would put them on the front since it is a front wheel drive car! :slap:
front wheel drive cars can run bigger rear tires. just because we're not rear wheel drive doesnt mean we cant run that setup. more meat on the ground equals better handling. i'm also thinkin about this setup.

kasimm you might be able to fit that wide of a tire on the rear with the right offset but i'm not sure. how low do you plan on dropping the car? how wide of tire? 235?245?255?

i'm gonna try to run 17x8's all around with 245's. just do more research. take your time on your decision, you dont want to buy rims and then have to sell them because they dont fit right.

·
4u2nv
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok... i called around and gathered some opinions from stores. Most said that the max width i can go with a Gen5 is 245/40/18. I still don't get it though... whats the rim size that equals to that?

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
You wouldn't want a wider rear tire on the rear due to the fact that it's a fwd car and has enough understeer to begin with. By putting a wider rear tire than the front it will make the back hold better and the front would want to push more than before. You should be able to fit 8" wide wheels with the right offset. If you want to go any wider the only logical thing to do would be to go widebody or use some fender flares and get wider wheels all around, same width too. Id go with 275-35-18 all around with 18x9.5" wheels all the way around. The offset would prob. have to be anywhere from 15mm to 20mm + offset.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I would go same size, you're trying both performace and looks, usually it's one or the other, you know you will add more weight with those big wheels, you may lose a little acceleration but you have the v6 so go for it? :dunno:

I assume you've tried tirerack to see what tires size they recommend for 18s and remember the speedometer effect

·
Registered
785 Posts
heres the deal dude, to save yourself from further ambarasment, DO NOT PUT WIDER WHEELS ON THE REAR OF A FRONT WHEEL DRIVE SEDAN! it will look utterly silly if there is wide wheels on the front, not inless you're pushing over 400hp out of the front wheels (which is very unlikley), just go with same size all around.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.