Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I viewed the FAQ's and did not find answer.

Does anyone know what may be the cause of a small leak (seems oily) from the left middle of the engine (passenger side) I looked underneath the vehicle and saw residual leaking.

Friend told me this was a common problem on Gen 3 Camry (1993). Any suggestions. And if I have posted this wrong please let me know and I'll correct it.

·
Registered
'01& '06 Highlanders
159 Posts
Not knowing any particulars (engine siz etc.) I would look at the oil cooler. The seal that mounts it to the block leak over time.

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lynchburg CSI, I appreciate your quick response however you are not helping by telling me what to do with my posts and not giving guidance as to how.

Every one is not as sharp as you appear to be.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
Lynchburg CSI, I appreciate your quick response however you are not helping by telling me what to do with my posts and not giving guidance as to how.

Every one is not as sharp as you appear to be.
And if I have posted this wrong please let me know and I'll correct it.
I was waiting for information on the engine, and you asked if you had posted wrong to let you know. I fail to see a problem!

Anyways, the 5s-fe (the 2.2l 4 cyl for the camry 92-01) does like to leak... your friend was right. What's the maintaince history on the seals? Sometimes it's worth it just to overhaul all of them especially with a semi-young engine at 153k. I redid mine with a timing belt and water pump change at 140k some miles.

Now, if you want to replace only the seal that's leaking, then thats okay. But i'd do everything WHILE I was in there. As to WHICH seal is leaking, that's tricker. There's a lot on the left side of the engine anddddd someone else would have to chime in as to which seals to check.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It's more than likely coming from where the timing cover is. I have my notoriously replaced with my t-belt and water pump replacement as Lynchburg noted, they like too leak!!

Anyways I believe the seals you are referring to would be the oil pump seal, crank seal and crankshaft seal. Someone will have to chime in to make for 100% certain but if you go to the dealer, they should have 3 seals for that area. You can also replace the gasket as well down there...again I think that's for the oil pump as well. This along with the timing belt and water pump replacement should put your car back on the road, good as new!

And to the op...Lynchburg was simply helping you out...no reason to post this information twice when YOU failed to give us the information on your cars. Something as simple as it being a 6 cylinder can change the diagnose dramatically. So next time, give us all the information on hand before you chirp someone.

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks so much for the help!! And thank you for the quality information that I sure could use. I was wrong for chirping you so please forgive me, as I in the beginning stages as to how TN walks and talks.

Earl C

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks so much for the help!! And thank you for the quality information that I sure could use. I was wrong for chirping you so please forgive me, as I in the beginning stages as to how TN walks and talks.

Earl C
No problem...as long as everyone treats everyone equally and with respect, we are always here to help!!1

And while you're fixing up those leaks, definitely check the distributor o-ring as well. They are known to leak bad and I replace mine every t-belt and water pump interval too. The leak would more than likely come from more of the middle of the engine, rather than the left side, passenger front wheel area.

·
Registered
Toyota Camry
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bp21986

Thanks for your advice and wisdom!! I will check those seals and I am sure the info you ans Lynchburg gave me will help. As I conveyed to Lynchburg my apologies, I apologize to you to for posting and "chirping".

I just did not know anyone would acknowledge my post with my name instead of the topic. Have patience with me as I grow with the wisdom I gain from people like you and Lynchburg.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
It's fine! It takes some time to learn the dynamics of a forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts