Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 Tacoma 4x4 auto,215,000 miles extended cab. Recently new to me ,After a hard rainfall both front floorboards and the passenger rear floorboard are wet or damp,I dried them out witth shop vac,alcohol and heat,Next day no rain wet/damp again.Anyone have an idea where I should start to corrrect this issue?

·
2015 4 Runner SR5
3,692 Posts
Welcome to the site.

Most likely place is heater core or the drainage in the cowl. Sometimes that drainage gets blocked with debris and the water comes in under the dash. Does the '99 have an internal air filter in the glovebox?

Pop the hood and look to the passenger side. You should see the area that the water drains out - look for leaves and stuff that may be blocking. Open your glove box to see if you see signs of water coming in behind there.

·
Registered
2008 TCH
695 Posts
On mine, the puty or "butyl tape" they used to install the original windshield broke down on the drivers side over time. I had to pull the A pillar trim to get at it. But, I just caulked between the A pillar frame and glass and it solved my problem. Now if it has gone bad up near the dash, you're screwed and the windshield would need to be pulled. Also, learned that pulling the A pillar trim in these things is a bit of a PITA, because the bolts easily stripped out. I replaced those crappy bolts with better ones.

Could be coming from other places too. I had a problem with the AC condensation drain leaking into the passengers floor board because the hose was clogged with algae. After I fixed that problem, not long after, it started leaking again. The elbow came off right at the firewall, so when driving down the highway, AC condensation was being forced back into the cab via airflow in the engine bay. After replacing the elbow and hose, the leak was fixed again.

I can't remember if these trucks have screws that penetrate the cowl to hold the plastic cowling trim in place around the wiper blades. That might be worth checking too. I had an OBS Chevy years ago that developed a leak around one of those screws. Took me forever to figure that one out....

Good luck...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts