Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend has an '03 Camry 4cyl. auto. About 3 miles from my house the water pump locked up and it slung the serp belt. She made it home but naturally the car overheated but no apparant additional damage. so, I slap on a new W/P and serpentine belt (boy that belt is an SOB!) and when I crank it the thing won't idle above 200 or so rpm. I runs fine when I give it gas, but won't idle. I ran it up to 2000 rpms on and off long enough to open up the thermostat and check that, it all seems fine. Is it possible that this thing is stuck in "limp home" mode or something? if so, is there a way to reset it. A Toyota service mgr. told me it could be the Idle Air control valve, after researching (calling parts houses and the local toyota parts dept.)this car doesn't have one, GRRRR! They list a MAF sensor, etc. but no IAC.

Anyone had or heard of this symptom? Thanks is advance for any and all help...

Tym

1972 FJ40 Land Cruiser
1983 FJ60 Land Cruiser
2005 F250 Super Duty 6.0L PSD

·
Registered
2002 Camry
2,231 Posts
The timing belt may be on wrong. If it was installed a few teeth off this will totally mess your performance. Remember this belt controls the camshaft and valve action in relation to the piston position so everything MUST be installed in perfect alignment.

Remove the covers and belts again (Argg! i know) and carefully check the installation of the timing belt. My guess is you will find the dots dont line up and you have to reinstall the belt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.