Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just bought a 94 corolla ,replaced drivers side axle complete.While going for a atest drive the car all of a sudden slipped into neutral with gear sel in D.Anybody have any ideas on what could have happened in a 1/8 mile on the road?Is it poss that axle is no longer seated in the differential?I surely thank any body with any help or diagnostic procedures!

·
You asked for it...
394 Posts
First, what Bitter said. Then it might be possible for the axle to slip if you didn't get the axle seated very well. But it would probably leak transmission fluid pretty badly, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
94 corolla trans prob

Thanks for the reply's I filled the diff and checked the trans ,fluid in trans ok, but leaking badly from diff where axle goes in,thought that was a bad seal?I guess I should get the seal and check if axle is seated properly.I also noticed that the axle nut went down almost completly past the cotter pin hole,could that also indicate axle not seated?I had a hard time removing old axle till I got a slide hammer, do I need to knock the axle in?Thanks again and I appreciate you guys input!

·
Premium Member
14,712 Posts
axles typically need a good impact to seat them all the way in, I use a large dead blow hammer and hit it until it stops. You'll feel when it seats in all the way, since it won't go any further and the hits will sound solid. Hard to explain, but you'll know it when you feel it. A large block of wood can also be used to hit it, like a bit of 4x4 post or a 2x4 and small sledge hammer. what did you torque the axle nut to?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I didnt fully seat the axle since i didnt even use anything but the axle itself to push it in.I think I understand the issue now that you answered my post,I will let you know wed after I take it apart and check the axle and do like you said give it a good rap with a deadblow hmer.Thanks for your reply,I will keep u informed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts