Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i've done a swap in my AE92, Chassis EE90, came with a 2E carby engine, and I need the diagrams for both engines, i cant find anything but the book cover on the internet, if any of you out there have a copy of the diagrams "more the 2E", that would be great. Any inside info, tips and know how's would be greatly apriciated. Thanks. AG
 

·
Registered
1986 Camry
Joined
·
476 Posts
I wonder how sillilar the 3E is. Its carbed too and if it was the same basic engine just with less displacment than it would be easy to get the wiring diagram.

Just curious, what kind of carb is stock on the 2E? Pics?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it aint the same engine as the 4A, lord help us...and i dont know what kind of carby it had because 2 weeks after i bought the car the engine gave up on me, so i threw away the old one and put in the 20V. still looking for the diagram
 

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
Joined
·
3,042 Posts
AstroVannin said:
I wonder how sillilar the 3E is. Its carbed too and if it was the same basic engine just with less displacment than it would be easy to get the wiring diagram.

Just curious, what kind of carb is stock on the 2E? Pics?
I do believe you are right. The 2E carb engine should be quite similar to the 3E carb engine as far as the wiring is concerned
 

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Basically you need to treat the 20v loom and ECU as a stand alone system, don't try and modify your cars wiring. You only need to adapt a few dash wires to the new ecu. As well as power the fusebox etc.

You need to hook up.

Engine check/warning light (important for fault finding etc, Your car won't have one so you may have to find a temporary solution)

Start
Ignition
Stop light
Speed sensor (need some signal, accuracy isn't so important but the 20v's do need it)

May just take some patience with a multi meter to sort out what is what.
 

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Also I take it you've got the pin out diagrams for the 20v ECU from club 4ag?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i got the pinouts, and the diagram from there...
you say the 20V needs the speed sensor, but the 2E was running on a cable, what to do for this?
 

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
Joined
·
19,669 Posts
aarong420 said:
you say the 20V needs the speed sensor, but the 2E was running on a cable, what to do for this?
You need to use the right transmission for it, I don't think the one from the 2E will work.
 

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Yea you will need to find a transmission with an A series bellhousing. (ie. came from a A series engine).

The 20v's came with an electronic speed sensor, but this can be fitted to a gearbox that had the mechnical drive (ie. ae92) its just a quick bolt in job.

From my experence with my silvertops, the speed sensor is not vital, but my rev cut is lower with it unpluged
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
huh?....sooo your saying i gotta get a g-box, with a mechanical "cable" drive speed sensor to work??
im not using the g.box from the 2E...i got the 20V g.box with the engine, and that came with the electronic sensor.. what im asking, is what will i have to do, to hook up the sensor to my car, which originally worked on a cable drive speedo.?

Also a bit off topic here, im curious to know, in the stock 20v extractors, there are two little flaps with holes in them, im wondering if to take them out for restriction purposes?, or is it there for a good reason?
 

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
Joined
·
3,042 Posts
aarong420 said:
huh?....sooo your saying i gotta get a g-box, with a mechanical "cable" drive speed sensor to work??
im not using the g.box from the 2E...i got the 20V g.box with the engine, and that came with the electronic sensor.. what im asking, is what will i have to do, to hook up the sensor to my car, which originally worked on a cable drive speedo.? QUOTE]


I think all you need is the mechanical drive fitting that goes in the gear box (one 10mm head bolt, I think) and then hook up your cable. The one off your old gear box should work, I think.
 

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Donald said:
I think all you need is the mechanical drive fitting that goes in the gear box (one 10mm head bolt, I think) and then hook up your cable. The one off your old gear box should work, I think.
Yes that will make your speedo work, but the ECU will not be recieveing a speed signal.

On the 20v the electronic speed sensor in the GB seeds a signal, which goes into the dash cluster, this signal is then feed to the ECU.

On the 20v conversion I helped with a 20v dash loom and instrument cluster was used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
boy am i in a pickle here...i dont even have the ecu wired up and its already looking like a headache..
punter add me if u wish to msn, [email protected]
ive read lots of posts here about how to wire the engine loom to the stock dash and all that, but it's like looking at the sun in order to see...the diagram i have from club4age is no use for me, it might as well be in german...:eek:
The fusebox i have off of the 4A, has 7 plugs coming from it that i can see, and some wires that just go into the box itself...Out of the 7 plugs, 4 of them have been cut, while the other 3 and the wires, go to the loom. Im heres a pic below...
I dont know what or where these wires go to, so its a hard slam on the brakes whenever i even THINK of wiring.
Also, the part of the harness that goes into the car itself "where the ecu is"...part of that has been cut as well. There are three plugs for the ECU, two are fully intact, and one "12 pin", has had some cutting done to it. heres a pic of that too..



Some of the cut wires in this pic, goes to the 12 pin ECU plug...I dont know where the rest go????
 

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
So you don't have a full loom?? That could make life hard, What do you have on the engine side of the loom?

I have a spare 20v ST auto loom in my garage so I might be able to help you out. That and I have 2 working manual 20v STs.

Sorry I don't have MSN,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yes I do have the full loom, the pictures are just where it was cut "for what reason i dont know", but I believe the cut wires "from the fuse box pic 1", are for things like headlights and the horn, wildshield wipers and so on...and in pic 2, i believe the cut wires are "hopefully", for connections that need to be made in the car itself; "warning lights etc".
The other two parts of the harness "its a 4 way harness", go to sensors on the engine on one side, and coil/igniter, on the other; those two sides are good, just to plug in I believe.
If im rite about that, then all ill need to do is find out where the cut wires go, and what wires on the stock harness, are for the same purpose, and connect them. Thats where my mulitmeter comes in.
Tell me if im wrong, im going by what little knowladge I have on this. If what im saying is true, then it shouldnt be hard to do, ONCE I know what the cut wires are for AND, which wires are which in the dash.
Thats why, it brings me back to finding a full 2E wiring diagram, which i have been searching for, for over month now, and I still cant find it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What this connection? 20V

ned to know what this conbnection is? im thinking its a relay, but just making sure..its from the dash side of the wire harness.



 

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
Yes that a relay, I can't recall seeing it on any of my looms, but no doubt its there.
I'll have a look what it does tonight If I remember.
 

·
Registered
1988 Corolla SR-5
Joined
·
3,042 Posts
aarong420 said:
Yes I do have the full loom, the pictures are just where it was cut "for what reason i dont know", but I believe the cut wires "from the fuse box pic 1", are for things like headlights and the horn, wildshield wipers and so on...and in pic 2, i believe the cut wires are "hopefully", for connections that need to be made in the car itself; "warning lights etc".
The other two parts of the harness "its a 4 way harness", go to sensors on the engine on one side, and coil/igniter, on the other; those two sides are good, just to plug in I believe.
If im rite about that, then all ill need to do is find out where the cut wires go, and what wires on the stock harness, are for the same purpose, and connect them. Thats where my mulitmeter comes in.
Tell me if im wrong, im going by what little knowladge I have on this. If what im saying is true, then it shouldnt be hard to do, ONCE I know what the cut wires are for AND, which wires are which in the dash.
Thats why, it brings me back to finding a full 2E wiring diagram, which i have been searching for, for over month now, and I still cant find it.

My suggestion at this point would be to un-wrap the entire harness. Put a few zip-ties in strategic locations to keep your form, then follow every wire that is cut and see where it goes.

Sometimes the color codes look similar but have cross stripes of different colors at 1" or 2" intervals down the wire.

When I did my Paseo-engine-into-Tercel swap it took me 3 months with two wiring diagrams(both cars) and a multimeter, after I got the engine installed. I'll never do it that way again. It looks easier but is not.

After that nightmare, Dr. Tweak suggested that it is easier to un-wrap, connect, test then re-wrap. That is how he does it and he has done many. That is how I plan to do my next swap, for sure!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
I suggested aarong420 talk and maybe send Dr. Tweak the harness but he wants to do it himself. I think it would be well worth the money to avoid the headache.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hello everyone, ill jus like to say i got an electrician to come by me yesturday, and within 2 hours it was done, he explained what he was doing while he was doing it, and man....i could of slapped myself after he was done, i asked him " is that it?"..
Believe me it isnt as complicated as it seems to be. Just need the basic knowladge of what to do, and certin wires to test with your light tester or multimeter.
Thanks Punter and all the rest for giving me any info youll had, however im very dissapointed to say that Dr.Tweek was of absolutely no help to me. He was only concerned with getting my "WAY over priced amount of 400+US$$", while i paid the man who came by me a mere, 120us. He didnt use heat shrink or put everything in nice pretty color wiring, but even that wont make up the amount, and im surely glad to say so.
*Punter the guy told me the relay is a fuel pump relay, and i should have it changed because of its condition.
So on that note ill leave youll with a :whatwhat: , the 20V is soon to be running.
Just need to lacate a fuel pump!!
That reminds me, since it was carby before, ill need to get a FI pump...what stock FI pump witll bolt up to the housing on my AE92 Fuel tank? I've head the 101 had a oval shape housing while on the 92 its a circle, does anyone know>?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top