Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I plan on buying a 3rd Gen. 3SGTE MR2 Rear Clip. But before spending $4,000, I want to know what the difference is between the 3rd Gen. and 2nd Gen. and make sure I'm making the right choice.

I know the 3rd Gen. has about 30 more HP than the 2nd Gen. but what gives it so much more power? I plan on replacing the almost all internals, turbo, exhaust and intake with stronger parts so if the better hp is in some of those, would it be wiser to settle with the 2nd Gen. and use the money I saved to go towards the stronger parts?

Another thing is the Transmission, how different is the transmission? I know is has an LSD but I plan on replacing that too, BUT, I'm not touchin' the gears! So does the 3rd Gen. Tranny have better tuned gears or is it basically the same?

Ah, is the power in the ECU? If it is, then that isn't much of a problem because I'm going to buy an AEM EMS for it!

Basically, I'm asking what the difference is between the two and if I should just go ahead and save the money on the 2nd Gen...

Please give any and all advice!

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
If you plan on basically redoing everything... just start off with a 2nd gen motor. You will come out with the same power if you are replacing everything... especially if you go EMS. The 3rd gen has a different turbo, no afm, and a few internal mods (cams and such...). If you plan on replacing everything... buying a 3rd gen would kinda be a waste of money IMO.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
are u doing an NA to turbo swap??...or swapping ur current motor??....i have faith in gen 2 motors...i'd build it to run higher boost rather then gettng a gen 3 clip.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts