Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Alpine331
07 Tacoma
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a 2007 Tacoma DC Auto 4WD. I have a 3" Revtech lift, 33" BFG Allterrains on 16" alum rims. I had the rear leaf suspension TSB upgrade to the Blisten shocks done last year. My problem started a few months ago. During a bad snow storm I put my truck into 4WD and immediately noticed a strong pull to the right when I stepped on the accelerator. I had noticed this before and had attributed it the larger tires, but it had never been that strong. Then I came across a patch of snow/ice that only covered the right side of my lane. As soon as the right tire hit the snow (the left was on dry pavement) the truck swerved DRASTICALLY to the right. I almost lost control. And now it happens all the time. Every time the right tire touches snow/ice the truck swerves very hard to the right. I though it was a wheel alignment issue so I took it in for an alignment but it made no difference. And as soon as I take the truck out of 4WD the problem goes away. I called my local Toyota dealer and they told me because I have lifted my truck and put larger than stock tires on it that it would void any coverage under warranty and I would have to pay for them to have a look at it. I realise I could fight them on that issue but I was hoping someone might have heard of this or have an idea as to what it could be?

·
Harbinger of Doom
91 Posts
The conditions you've described seem ordinary to me. Is this your first 4x4? Most vehicles grab to one side when they're on different surfaces. Does it happen in even snow or just when the left tire is on dry pavement? You've got a big grabby tire. I don't mean to be a smart ass, so give us more info and we'll try and help.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Winnipeg by chance ?

we had a fun snow storm ... maybe 20 cm in total

but it was enough to give cars a problem. and 4x4s had a blast.

cheers
Warts

·
Alpine331
07 Tacoma
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've lived in Alberta all my life and driven several different 4WD over the years. I'm an experienced driver and have driven gravel trucks, log trucks, and highway tractors in some of the worst driving conditions. I've had this truck for 2 years and have also driven it in snowy conditions and off road several times. This truck always did pull a bit to the right when in 4WD but the current problem is something very different. When I say that it swerves, I mean it swerves bad. Twice now it has pulled so bad and suddenly it has put me into a spin. I've managed to recover but was lucky where/when it happened. My wife now refuses to drive the truck unless the roads are clear and bare.

·
Banned
873 Posts
I've lived in Alberta all my life and driven several different 4WD over the years. I'm an experienced driver and have driven gravel trucks, log trucks, and highway tractors in some of the worst driving conditions. I've had this truck for 2 years and have also driven it in snowy conditions and off road several times. This truck always did pull a bit to the right when in 4WD but the current problem is something very different. When I say that it swerves, I mean it swerves bad. Twice now it has pulled so bad and suddenly it has put me into a spin. I've managed to recover but was lucky where/when it happened. My wife now refuses to drive the truck unless the roads are clear and bare.
hmmm almost sounds like a broken axle. but that of course is not the problem.

maybe your caliper is siezed amplifiing the pull ?? bit of a strech but all i can think of.

cheers & good luck. keep us posted

Warts

·
Harbinger of Doom
91 Posts
Alrighty then, apparently operator error not the issue. It sounds like a pretty extreme problem, but an alignment tech would have noticed something like a broken axle or uca. Have you installed the lift, tires, and rims recently or have you had them the last two years. Maybe you could post some pictures of your wheel well and front components. Glad you were able to recover. Couple weeks ago a guy ended up down a slope in a tree.

·
Alpine331
07 Tacoma
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nice truck. Did the dealer give you much hassel about the lift and tires? I tried 2 other dealers but there a couple more I could try.

·
Griff
914 Posts
here's the deal from what i understand.... when in "2 wheel drive", only one tire drives the truck. that's the rear right tire. when in "4 wheel drive" 2 wheels do the driving.... the rear right tire and the front left. obviously if your front left tire is on dry pavement and your front right tire is in snow, that left tire is "driving" the truck and will force it to drive to the right. simple physics. we (the forum) cannot tell if your pull to the right is "normal" or not. you may have driven 4x4s before, but every vehicle is different. my tacoma pulls to the right when in 4x4, but is it the same as yours? get the idea? and my father owns a shop where i've aligned this truck and balanced/rotated the tires religiously.

·
Georgia
1,197 Posts
here's the deal from what i understand.... when in "2 wheel drive", only one tire drives the truck. that's the rear right tire. when in "4 wheel drive" 2 wheels do the driving.... the rear right tire and the front left.
Sounds like you are talking about open differential, and that's not how it works. Torques goes to the path of least resistance, so if both rear tires are on the dry pavement and both have good grip, torque is split about 50/50, and both are driving the vehicle. If one tire is on the ice (or another low traction surface), then it gets more torque than the other, it can be right or left. LSD mitigates it by sending at least some of the torque to the non-slipping wheel, and truck is moved forward, albeit slower than on the dry surface. LSD has limits, and if you floor the gas, engine will overpower LSD clutches (or brakes on 09 Taco A-LSD) and both tires will spin.
Locked axle splits torque 50/50 regardless of the surface tires are one. Both turn at the same speed. That's why if you are locked, you cannot drive on a high traction surface and turn. Well, you can, but you will damage your truck.

From the factory all tacos have open front differential, 4x4 splits power between the front and rear axles, but again, torque for a given axle goes to the wheel with least resistance of that pair.

·
Registered
2005 Tacoma TC LB
217 Posts
Symptoms;
(1) Pulling to the right under power in 4WD
(2) Also when in 4wd and left side has more traction than right side:

It must be that the left front is applying more power than right front.

It could be a difference in tire diameter. I would swap the front tires left/right, and see if it starts pulling to the left in 4WD. If no change, you can rule out tire diameter differences.

That leaves you with either that the alignment is still not correct, particularly scrub radius, or you have a problem with the drive system on the front right.

Please let us know what you ultimately find.

·
Alpine331
07 Tacoma
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THanks everyone for your help and suggestions. They are all good, but the problem is that I have driven this truck for 2 years in all sorts of road conditions and never experienced this before. Something has changed recently and it is very obvious if you drive it. Was just hoping someone had had a similar experience.

Another forum member gave me the name of a service manager at a Toyota dealer near by and he has agreed to have a look at it next week. I'll let everyone know what I find out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts