Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently got a 94 Camry 2.2ltr 4Cyl Auto with 160k. the problem is when i floored it at about 4000 to 4500 rpm it starts loosing steam and doesnt accelerate. i have to lift off of the gas to let it shift to the next gear then apply gas after it shifts. the car just had the timing belt done. Well if anyone has suggestions please help.

THANK YOU:D

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
hmmm...sounds to me like more of a tranny problem than the belt. but lets hope thats not it because that can get expensive. maybe one of our seasoned buddies can help us.

·
_trancemaster_
399 Posts
I got the same problem too. I'm not sure why. Feels like the car is chocking, until you let go of the gas, it shifts up and then you can keep on flooring... it's weird.. there is no consistancy, you always have to let go of the pedal.
I drove 96 accord the other day, when you floor it, it shifts smoothly, you almost can't notice it, and gains speed faster too (it was I4 just like my cam).
Is there any way to fix that problem at all?

·
Registered
633 Posts
punkrocker said:
How would i adjust the advance?
thanks
If that is the problem you'll have to turn the distributor but you'll need to have that done by a garage to get it properly done, don't try to do it yourself as a too high advance could break your engine !

It could also be many other problems. In fact it could also be a problem with a sensor asking the ecu to go on safe mode and reduce the timing when needed. It could also be a fuel problem or a tranny problem like other have suggested.

Good luck !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright ill try the tranny flush but i still think it has something to do with the engine. If anyone has any other suggestions feel free to say them.
thanks for all the help

·
Registered
750 Posts
It definitely sounds like an engine problem. The engine is flooding itself. ( can't burn the fuel fast enough ) When you let off the gas, it allows the engine to correct the situation and return to normal. This is often one of the first signs that your timing belt needs replacment. The first step would be to have the timing checked, if you know the problem wasn't there before. If your not sure, a quick look at your plugs, wires, distributor, and filter could help you to narrow it down.
If you want to play with distibutor yourself, make sure you mark it so that you will have the original setting. You shouldn't have to move it off the mark more than a 1/4 inch or so. You'll be able to hear the idle change when you move it and it should run smoothest where it is set correctly.
Good Luck
Karazy

·
Ford Powered
1999 Ford Mustang
439 Posts
ok after actually driving the cam and listening to it, mine does it too. and ya, it isn't a smooth shift at all. the higher RPMs are murder on my car. so much weight to pull for such a weak engine.

·
Grenaded piston
6,580 Posts
karazy said:
If you want to play with distibutor yourself, make sure you mark it so that you will have the original setting. You shouldn't have to move it off the mark more than a 1/4 inch or so. You'll be able to hear the idle change when you move it and it should run smoothest where it is set correctly.
Uhh.... Theres a tool called a "timing light".

And the correct setting is 10 degrees BTDC.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well thanks for all the advice so where could i get this light. and how expensive is it.
thanks again for all the help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
today i drove it again and it seems really bad its like from 4,000rpms and up it is just like no acceleration, but it seems like it would just stay going up till it either hits the rev limiter or blows the engine. :eek: but untill it gets to the 4k rpm it seems fine. and usually shifts before that unless you get on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts