Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have a question. My check engine light came on 2 days ago when I started the car. It sputtered once, and has ran fine since. The book says it's an emission problem and to call the dealer. I had them check it (on the computer, I suppose) and they say I have a bad charcoal cannister. Probably due to overfilling the gas tank. That's $350 installed!
My question is...can they tell that is the problem for sure, or are they greedy for $350. Anyone ever have this happen? If I caused it by overfilling, then it's "my bad". But, I'm curious for other opinions. I know just the gas cap loose can cause the same light, but how can I turn it off....or do I just say "fix it"?
Got any thoughts?
Rich

·
Registered
380 Posts
Overfilling can cause gas to end up in the Charcoal Canister, since there is an ventillation hose that end up near the gas cap.

Was there enough gas to permantly damage the canister ? That I do not know.

Did they clear the fault at the dealer ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
check engine light

Well, I picked to car up after the techs were gone, so I got the info from a service scheduler. To answer the question......no, they did not clear the check engine light, and I didn't get the code. So, guess that doesn't help much. What code would mean "charcoal cannister", anyone know? Thanks

·
Registered
342 Posts
rich05matrix said:
Well, I picked to car up after the techs were gone, so I got the info from a service scheduler. To answer the question......no, they did not clear the check engine light, and I didn't get the code. So, guess that doesn't help much. What code would mean "charcoal cannister", anyone know? Thanks

Get to an Autozone. They will check your CEL for free.
They would also clear it. But find out what code it is.

·
Registered
87 Posts
lets start with the basics.......
your Car year
and Mileage
the engine Code.......take it to Autozone....make sure you ask them to tell you the Code
did you pay for the inspection at toyota????
How much $???? I ask because they didnt give you what you paid for ....the Code....and they didnt clear it...( for now thats a good thing because you take it somewhere else and for free you will Know the Code)

if you car has around 55000miles or so and is a 03 model.....its out of warrentty right ???

the problem is Likely just the VSV ( vacuume switching Valve ) that is on the canister.......they rust and stop working ....Common problem

Im calling BS on the Canister if they didnt Diagnose it.

MIKE

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.