Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched on this, I swear, but I can't find the one piece of info I really need.:D

I have a double cab with six speed tranny. I know how to take the console apart. What I don't know how to do is get to the portion of the dashboard where the cigarette lighter is. I want to tie my cb's power into the lighter circuit, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get in there.

From photos I've seen, it looks like that section of the trim is different on auto trucks. Can anyone point me in the right direction here?

Or if you have an idea for an easier place to grab power from, I'm all ears. Thanks!

·
Super White Taco
2005 Tacoma
817 Posts
I had the same problem this weekend trying to hardwire the power cable to my Sirius receiver. :headbang: There is no easy way to remove the console portion with the cigarette lighters, so I tapped into the ACC wire connected to the stereo (Thin Grey Wire in radio harness). There is also a constant back there if you want the untit to work without ignition on (Thin Blue wire w/Yellow stripe). Accessing that is a hell of a lot easier than tearing out the entire dash/console system to get at the cigarette lighter. Note: I spliced in a fuse (3amp) just incase the Sirius receiver blows, so I don't lose the stereo too.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
noladude said:
I had the same problem this weekend trying to hardwire the power cable to my Sirius receiver. :headbang: There is no easy way to remove the console portion with the cigarette lighters, so I tapped into the ACC wire connected to the stereo (Thin Grey Wire in radio harness). There is also a constant back there if you want the untit to work without ignition on (Thin Blue wire w/Yellow stripe). Accessing that is a hell of a lot easier than tearing out the entire dash/console system to get at the cigarette lighter. Note: I spliced in a fuse (3amp) just incase the Sirius receiver blows, so I don't lose the stereo too.:thumbsup:
Great! That's what I was looking for, thanks a lot.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
You could also tap into the empty spot in the middle of the under dash fuse box. It's ignition controlled, so your CB would turn off whenever you turn the engine off. Be sure to include an inline fuse. I think most CBs come with a fuseholder inline anyway.

·
Self Proclaimed Genius
762 Posts
You could avoid the whole hassle and wire your CB up directly to the battery. Pretty much every manufacturer recommends this anyway, as it reduces the chance of noise in the system.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
^ Sounds good to me. CBs can be finicky. Ya better do it right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts