Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im am new to using forms so go easy on me if i do not provide the correct information upfront.

I recently bought a used 2003 Camry 2.4L. Recently the check engine light came on and after getting it diagnosed from two different mechanics was told i needed to replace the catalytic converter and up and downstream oxygen sensors. They both also said my car was California emissions, and i had to buy parts accordingly (I work for Amazon.com, and get a discount and knew parts would run me cheaper if i bought them myself)

After purchasing the parts my mechanic told me that the two sensors i bought were incorrect, and gave me the old ones he pulled from my car to look at and buy. When i run the part numbers they come back saying that both parts are non-California emissions.

part numbers- 89465-06050 and 89467-33040.

for the one ending in 06050 i bought Denso 234-4149 (is non-calif emissions), which seems to be right.

and for the one ending in 33040 i bought Denso 234-9041 (said it is for calif emissions) , which i think maybe wrong.

after my mechanic installed the parts listed above the check engine light came on again and the error code was P0031.

im really confused with the whole California emissions thing, if my car states that it is California emissions why is it that the parts are non California emissions? Also what part should i buy to fix the error code?

This is the link to the picture i took of my emissions sticker, i couldnot upload it here because its too large https://gyazo.com/87cedaf259831a75e3cff4459439af9c

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,022 Posts
Hi, im am new to using forms so go easy on me if i do not provide the correct information upfront.

I recently bought a used 2003 Camry 2.4L. Recently the check engine light came on and after getting it diagnosed from two different mechanics was told i needed to replace the catalytic converter and up and downstream oxygen sensors. They both also said my car was California emissions, and i had to buy parts accordingly (I work for Amazon.com, and get a discount and knew parts would run me cheaper if i bought them myself)

After purchasing the parts my mechanic told me that the two sensors i bought were incorrect, and gave me the old ones he pulled from my car to look at and buy. When i run the part numbers they come back saying that both parts are non-California emissions.

for the one ending in 06050 i bought Denso 234-4149 (is non-calif emissions), which seems to be right.

and for the one ending in 33040 i bought Denso 234-9041 (said it is for calif emissions) , which i think maybe wrong.

after my mechanic installed the parts listed above the check engine light came on again and the error code was P0031.

im really confused with the whole California emissions thing, if my car states that it is California emissions why is it that the parts are non California emissions? Also what part should i buy to fix the error code?

This is the link to the picture i took of my emissions sticker, i couldnot upload it here because its too large https://gyazo.com/87cedaf259831a75e3cff4459439af9c
It sounds like the sensors have been previously changed. The code refers to Bank 1 Sensor 1 which is a different P/N vs. the second O2 sensor. Input your VIN into this site, http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html and then search oxygen sensor and it will state what your car came with and you can use that P/N as a cross reference on a site like rockauto.com. Ca. Emissions parts are not the same as Federal Emissions Parts. Are you in Ca.?

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like the sensors have been previously changed. The code refers to Bank 1 Sensor 1 which is a different P/N vs. the second O2 sensor. Input your VIN into this site, http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html and then search oxygen sensor and it will state what your car came with and you can use that P/N as a cross reference on a site like rockauto.com. Ca. Emissions parts are not the same as Federal Emissions Parts. Are you in Ca.?

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q.html
I live in MD. Can you help me with this? http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_200405_TOYOTA_CAMRY_ACV30L-CEPNKA_8401.html?hl=89465

It has 3 different oxygen sensors listed, it also has the year 04/05 and my car is 03.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
10,022 Posts
I live in MD. Can you help me with this? http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_200405_TOYOTA_CAMRY_ACV30L-CEPNKA_8401.html?hl=89465

It has 3 different oxygen sensors listed, it also has the year 04/05 and my car is 03.
From what i have read since I do not own a Camry and my T100 is a 1995 this is how i see it. I live in Ca.
In 2000/2001 Toyota went to 50 State emissions (i.e Chevy did as well) What your seeing is the 2 O2 sensors, 1 in front of the cat and the second behind the cat. The third sensor is air/fuel ratio in the exhaust manifold for Ca. emissions. Almost the same as an O2 sensor but the ECM reads it separately. Bank 1 Sensor 1 would be p/n 89465-06120 which fits 82 Toyota variants including your 2003. Which is the sensor the code you mentioned is referring too. I can't swear to it but by having the third port for another type of sensor the car could easily be fitted to the needs of any states emissions standards.

·
Registered
05 camry 07 tacoma
3,321 Posts
"Also what part should i buy to fix the error code?"
P0031 has to do with the air fuel sensor (Denso 234-9041) heater circuit.
Heater circuit includes the heater in the sensor itself and the actual wiring/fuses/relay\PCM comprising the complete circuit.
If heater internal to sensor is at spec then problem is in the external circuit.

Your mechanic should be able to readily identify were problem lies.

·
Registered
762 Posts

Parts not certified for Leftafornia are less expensive and worked fine in my two Gen 4 Camry I4 engines, (With CA emissions)(but I don't live in California) but they both are 1999's. The CARB certified parts are an expensive joke played on residents of the state. Check with Rock Auto, they will tell you if your CA emissions car really needs CA sensors if not being registered (and inspected) in CA. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,120 Posts
Parts not certified for Leftafornia are less expensive and worked fine in my two Gen 4 Camry I4 engines, (With CA emissions)(but I don't live in California) but they both are 1999's. The CARB certified parts are an expensive joke played on residents of the state. Check with Rock Auto, they will tell you if your CA emissions car really needs CA sensors if not being registered (and inspected) in CA. Good luck.
On the 2003+ Gen 5, you cannot interchange due to different resistance requirements in the sensors and physically different sensor mounting locations in the cat itself.

·
Dave in KCMO
03 Camry 4-Cyl
179 Posts
I just replaced mine today with Denso 234-9010 Air Fuel Ratio Sensor - $82+tax off Amazon.
I have a 2003 4 cyl - BUT Not CA emissions.
I had to manually switch off the Check Engine light once I was done. It did not immediately come back on, but I have not been driving around since. I will repost here it if comes back on.
Earlier in the week I manually turned it off and it came on immediately (within a few seconds)
I tested the resistance on the 2 black wires between the old and the new part, and verified the old part heater circuit was an open connection and therefore a bad part.

The Toyota part was about $150 - part (89467-33040) from Toyota of Cool Springs and I also found one on eBay for $118.99 "89467-33040 GENUINE OEM TOYOTA O2 Oxygen Air Fuel Ratio Sensor Camry Solara 2.4L" , so I was pleased the Denso part was much cheaper via Amazon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts