Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the kit from Paul for my 09 LE and had the time today to take apart bumper, etc and encountered a roadblock that haulted all progress. Need to restructure a plan for Tuesdays next attempt.

With the wire harness I pretty much have the setup understood off the diagram, HOWEVER, there are 2 connectors labeled in the diagram as "positive A wire" & and a positive D wire" - In the below pics is the diagram indicating that AND a pic of the brown(w/white wire) and
Grey(w/red wire) connectors.

The green connector in the diagram is for the switch. When I took apart underneath the steering wheel/kick plate, etc, I assumed I would find female connectors for these brown and grey connectors.....found NOTHING, extensively looked. Clearly something has to go to the positive of power supply, but nowhere via these connectors could I find.

Can anyone help (Paul - if youre out there) with the wiring? Or if there are female connectors at all for the grey & brown plugs. TWO positive leads is throwing me off too :ugh3:, the rest of the wiring I understand clearly

Help if anyone can,
Hopefully by Tuesday since I'll be having a hand that day with bumper and headlights.

Thanks, Tim

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gotta keep bumping this up to hopefully get as much input as poss...
dj, my friend and I pretty much came to the frustrated conclusion you said, only thing that threw us off was the distance these connectors were from the green switch plug. As you can see, they're 14" or so from the switch (which is a considerable distance away from the battery :confused:

·
Registered
341 Posts
'D' with the fuse is what actually powers the fog lights. 'A' is used as an enabled for the relay. For example, you can wire up 'A' for it only has power when the car is on. This makes sure your fog lights turn off when your car is off. If wired this way, the fog light swich LED only turns on when your car is on.

·
Registered
'07 XLE 4 cyl.
6,123 Posts
I love these stories...................

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would mean that These connectors have no purpose and I'd have to solder some wire to each lead (after removing connector) to run to the positive battery terminal ?

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love these stories...................
Dude, THAT was your help. I'm an ass to think, amidst your lonesome (must demean and put others down exterior) that you would actually use what knowledge you've gained through experience to HELP, but nah, much more important to bring others down to lift whatever it is you lack deep down.
I feel bad for people like you, but I assure you this, what knowledge I gain from this experience (and get my fogs installed)... that when another comes for help, I shall in fact HELP THEM.
Good luck with your endeavor to knock others around jerald, I figured it was only a matter of time before you got to me too.:welcome: I was waiting:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Dude forget about him. He's been useless for a long time most of the time. And i don't even bother to see what he has to say. I'm getting mine put in on wednesday by my mechanic.

Question for you TJ: Did the fogs bolt on to the bumper without any adjustments or problems? I'm about to eat and start doing mine because i'm doing my black housing and putting the grille in as well. But it's so windy and like 38F outside and it's pissin me off.

·
DJ V, NJ's Underground DJ
Black v6 Camry LE
228 Posts
hey TJHammer, what does the kit look like that you bought from Paul? Do you have a link to it man cuz i might be interested in getting one, how much was it? Thanks bro, good luck with everything!

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never bothered putting the fog lights in the bumper housing because I wasn't going to get to complete the project done and will have to remove bumper again anyway, so waited until I got these 2 wires/issue answered.

No link for Paul's fogs that I know of, we went back and forth in pm's and I picked em up for 85 I believe it was.

He doesn't take pm's anymore, why I posted this issue here.
Redline, what's your mechanic charging you?
I am doing the blackhousing on Tuesday. It was a good test run in terms of oven fitting, and removal/re-install, let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
"A" goes to BATTERY terminal and the "D" goes to any 12 volts terminal you can find under your dash. Mostly people connect them to CIGAR ligther wiring. if it does not work REVERS THE "A" & "D"..

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
I don't know what he's going to charge me because the wires are complete so i don't think it's going to be more than 100 bucks witch i don't mind as long as i know my car wont catch fire one day. I took my bumper off today and put the fogs in i was disappointed to see that the housing for them on the bumper didn't match with the holes where the screws go in but i made it work. There is no way that thing is moving or falling out. I also did my black housing 2 coats of primer and 5 coats of paint and it was a bitch to make sure that everything is covered because the corner are really hard so i was trying to get them without getting drips. I'm going to put the clear coat on tomorrow morning and then remounting them along with the grill. It wasn't hard to get the lens off but it wasn't easy, the second one i had to put it back in the oven for a few min because the glue/sealant got cold and i couldn't get it off. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Instructions for black housing came from Darksparkz. Thank you again buddy.

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What paint did you use?, I was going to use semi-gloss black engine enamel, and just lay really light coats till it built up to satisfaction. Corners hard to cover huh?....maybe I should decant some of the paint and run it through my airbrush to cover the harder spots. Do you feel you needed 7 coats, or was it just bec of the corner issue? There was warning about number of coats and getting the headlights adequately back together with all the layers. I was planning for 5 max

I have another link for the blackhousing, do you have a link for darksparkz'?

Which fogs did you use? you ran the wiring already? If you got the bumper off and installed the housing why not just complete the project yourself and save $$$ no?

I am passing by my mechanic tomorrow to show him the harness, he is an honest guy and not a money hog, so I'll get one last check with him regarding these 2 plugs. Roll_outz, it makes sense that it'd go as ya stated, as that has been the prevailing suggestion, but why on earth would the frikkn plugs be so far from the battery and even cig 12v line for that matter?! ya know!....and the connectors make you think you're supposed to just be clipping them right into the power lines, not cutting, splicing, soldering etc.
Wish I could find Paul :sosad:

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guess I'll still have to run an extension on that A-line to the battery because it's less than 16" from the switch, which is nowhere near the battery, not to mention I am probably going through a grommet on the passenger side instead of the more difficult driver side.

*Why is the gauge on the wire to power so small too? I know I am learning as I go along, but it's the same gauge as the LED wiring I did, I was really expecting higher for lights no?

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
D is longer wire ("D" - white) and she aint mak'n it to the battery.
The short (4" length is the red or "A" and is more like the 12v gauge size used throughout vehicle).

The relay would be closer to the battery, thing is, more I realize it, this harness is really not equipped to make it from fogs through pasenger side firewall and over to driver side.

*I am using 55w - 12v - 4,750 Blue/White Cosmos

Gotta tell ya, I get a price quote under a 100, I may have my mechanic do it lol, all because of the harness restrictions/confusion, although we seem to be clearing up the confusion, unless I manage to get it through the driver -side firewall (really tight with no existing grommet access:disappoin

·
Premium Member
6,508 Posts
and yes, i got my foglights through my driver's side firewall :D it was a tight squeeze but it was sexy after i put it through.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
What paint did you use?, I was going to use semi-gloss black engine enamel, and just lay really light coats till it built up to satisfaction. Corners hard to cover huh?....maybe I should decant some of the paint and run it through my airbrush to cover the harder spots. Do you feel you needed 7 coats, or was it just bec of the corner issue? There was warning about number of coats and getting the headlights adequately back together with all the layers. I was planning for 5 max

I have another link for the blackhousing, do you have a link for darksparkz'?

Which fogs did you use? you ran the wiring already? If you got the bumper off and installed the housing why not just complete the project yourself and save $$$ no?

I am passing by my mechanic tomorrow to show him the harness, he is an honest guy and not a money hog, so I'll get one last check with him regarding these 2 plugs. Roll_outz, it makes sense that it'd go as ya stated, as that has been the prevailing suggestion, but why on earth would the frikkn plugs be so far from the battery and even cig 12v line for that matter?! ya know!....and the connectors make you think you're supposed to just be clipping them right into the power lines, not cutting, splicing, soldering etc.
Wish I could find Paul :sosad:
The primer were 2 very light coats and for the paint the first 3 coats were light as well...i could still see the primer but then i did heavier coats but still keeping far from the pieces to avoid heavy paint in the same spot and dripping. I was going to have my mechanic do the whole thing with the fogs but since i had to take off the bumper to do the headlights i figured i would just do it now...I left the wires at the shop. I'm doing 2 coats of clear in the morning and putting everything back on.

I got the same fogs as you from Paul.
Good thing it's windy and cold tonight because my car is outside and the bumper is just hanging on with the hood closed.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
D is longer wire ("D" - white) and she aint mak'n it to the battery.
The short (4" length is the red or "A" and is more like the 12v gauge size used throughout vehicle).

The relay would be closer to the battery, thing is, more I realize it, this harness is really not equipped to make it from fogs through pasenger side firewall and over to driver side.

*I am using 55w - 12v - 4,750 Blue/White Cosmos

Gotta tell ya, I get a price quote under a 100, I may have my mechanic do it lol, all because of the harness restrictions/confusion, although we seem to be clearing up the confusion, unless I manage to get it through the driver -side firewall (really tight with no existing grommet access:disappoin
This is why i'm bringing my car in. I'm lucky because my mechanic went to school and finished for electrician. Bring the car in get it done and then i drive to school. $100 so be it...but i don't think he'll charge me that much.

·
The darker the better
2011 SE I4
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Prob not being aggressive enough in that driver side firewall, tell me where you went through and I'll do it! I am good at getting sh^*& done, dunno why these fogs have me so frustrated/spooked :headbang:

I appreciate the patience and help gang. Big time!
Redline, what paint did you use?
Clear coat necessary?
Too bad we werent just a little closer location wise, we coulda done this together.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts