Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've scavanged the forums and haven't found any information on switching out the 6 disk changer with another head unit. All I've really read was that it was a pain. If anyone could point me to some information on how to do this, what all I need, and any pictures would be excellent. I have the scoche double din silver painted dash kit already. Thanks to anyone who has some info for me.

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I haven't gotten any feedback. One question, if anyone could answer, will the wiring harness you can find at radio shack or wal-mart that says, '87 and up Toyota work for switching the 6 disk changer with the new head unit?

·
Registered
123 Posts
i dont recommend those wire harness, usually its a generic one that MIGHT fit your truck, go to best buy, or circuitcity and get one there, like 20 dollars. you might have to get an antenna adapter, not sure though. then if you want to put subs and what not, all the stuff for that as well, and no you dont need to replace factory speakers, unless you want better ones that produce better and clearer sound......

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey buddy, thanks a lot for the reply! Tucson, Is it as windy there as it's been here in southeast Nevada lately??? The dust is killin' me, specially with a black taco haha.

I've found pictures on how to pull the dash out, I'm fine with that part, my worry is that I'm gonna have huge problems with hooking the new head unit up (not having the right harness) I want to keep my current speakers, they sound fine, and after tracing in my last vehicle that had a huge kicker solo barik in the trunk, I don't miss the rattling much at all lol. If it's not much trouble, would you be able to find a link for me? I've been looking all over and man, i can't find the harness! Thanks so much once again.

Allan

·
Registered
123 Posts
not windy, it did snow today, but VERY little.

well go to bestbuy or something similer for the harness, just tell the radio guy there that you need whatever is required to install a radio in your truck. for now i cant find anything that looks like it wont be like any other vehicle, but im going to keep looking....

·
Registered
123 Posts
aduncan8434 said:
Nevermind, I did the "check to see if it fits" thing, and it says no fit:( I'll keep looking.
do you have an electronics store near you? alot of the time, bestbuy wont even put it on the site, i know they WILL have it in store though, just go by and pick it up, dont order it if you can avoid that...

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Their having some kind of huge off-road truck/dune buggie races here. Helicopters flying all over, HUGE trucks that make mine look like a baby toy everywhere. I'll be glad when they go home!

Thanks for the help I hope I find something soon, all i'm waiting for is the ipod adapter to arrive in the mail...

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm, just a radio shack... there are some car audio installation places, I imagine they may have one?

·
Insitu Taco
06 Taco D-Cab Sport
463 Posts
the swap shouldn't be too difficult... just make sure that you order the new dash filler plate... the company start's with an S... don't remember the name (Scoche?)

Anyways... the rest should just be like a normal aftermarket radio install...

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
Search for TN member EdinAthens (or something like that). I remember a thread / post by him a while back where he bought a harness from somewhere that was compatible with the JBL headunit that he used to switch it out.

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Correct, my truck has the JBL premium system (6 disk changer). I just wanna replace the headunit with this new Clarion MAX675VD double din dvd player..

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
AD, here's the exact harness that you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-2007-TOYOTA-TACOMA-DASH-KIT-HARNESS-FOR-JBL-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ150050740116QQihZ005QQcategoryZ85806QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I believe this ebay seller will also sell it without the dash kit (the Metra kit that he offers is nowhere near as good as the Scosche). Just search his online store or shoot him an email. Great communication from this seller, even after the sale is completed. I've got nothing but good things to say.

Here's a thread with some information on the install:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t158474.html

The simplest thing to do is to connect the harness and any adapters you may use (steering wheel controls, iPod, BT, etc.) to the HU before you hook it up to your car. It's pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks a ton, it's exactly what I've been searching for. I'll message him now to see if I can get just the harness, as I already have the Scoche dash kit on its way.

Allan

·
Registered
2007 Tacoma DC
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy smokes man, you were right! That Integration Solutions Ebay store is top notch, I asked them for the harness only, and literally, within 5 minutes they e-mailed me a link! I couldn't believe it! I replied asking if they had the part that will allow me to obtain my steering wheel controls, and again, withing a couple minutes I had a reply asking me what type of head unit I had, I replied, and bang, they sent me a link to what I needed! Flux, You've been a great help, and once I get this badboy installed I'll be sure to post so you all can see it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts