Toyota Nation Forum banner

Help with ODB plug...

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  88 LE 
#1 ·
hey..my check engine light has been on for a while now..but since there wasn't that much of a difference in performance (just some cold start problems..)..i didn't really think too much of it..but now my car needs to get smogged...NE WAYS...i borrowed a OBD2 from Autozone and the plug didn't work and then we tried using my bro's friends OBD2 scanner..but none of his plugs worked either. My plug, which is located in the driver's side kick panel, is circular not rectangular like the OBD2..ne one have ne suggestions??

#3 ·
what year do you have? sounds like your car is still obd1. any camry before 96 (95 an lower are). if you want try jumping pins te1 and e1. when you do that look for the blinking check engine light.

#6 ·

my diagostics thingy in the driver's side kick panel doesn't have one of the pins...is that odd?? so ne ways i went to go do it under the hood..and whne i did the check engine light sign didn't blink (i had my sister watch it)..and i did it numerous times..and then i accidently touched the E1 with +B and the 15A fuse went out. Because that fuse went out my check engine light is now off. NE WAYS my question is..because i never fixed wat was wrong will the check engine light come back on in a couple of days or something??

#8 ·
maybe it was nothing at all if it doesnt come back on then dont worry, i did that same thing too before i learn it was odb2. yup mos def odd with that reader port thing, the plug isnt in the kick panel it's behind the little change flip out thingy, kinda part of the front dash kinda near the kick panel.

#11 ·
No, the one behind the coin box is the OBDII plug. You can't jump anything on your car you need to use the reader. Anything OBDII will no longer blink the code when you jump pins. All the 1MZ Camrys and the 5S Camrys since 1996 (all cars 1996 and up, actually) have OBDII.

#12 ·
Re: ...

snobdrblinkchik said:
so ne ways i went to go do it under the hood..and whne i did the check engine light sign didn't blink (i had my sister watch it)..and i did it numerous times..and then i accidently touched the E1 with +B and the 15A fuse went out.
1. You jumper pins TE1 & E1 on the diagnostic connector under the hood.

2. The ignition has to be on.

3. If everything is normal the check engine light will just blink on & off. This is with TE1 & E1 jumpered and the ignition on.

4. Replace the blown fuse.

5. The jumper trick does not work on cars with OBD-II.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.