Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
My mother in law gave me a 89' Corrolla wagon carbureted motor and it has a few codes.
Here is some back ground.
Cooling fans stay on constantly checked connection to fan switch and relay (relay looks new) motor never really warms up gets to a little 1/4 on the temp gauge. I think the thermostat is gone too.
Has check engine lite that goes off when its really hot outside like 95 and above on the freeway.
Codes I pulled are
22-engine coolant temp sensor
31-air flow meter signal (vacuum sensor signal)
41-Throttle position sensor

My question is are any of these codes related to the fans being on and the motor never really getting warm?
And as far as the tps is there a TPS? is got a carburetor, and last some one HELP I have to pass smog in 3 days!:eek:

Thanks
Dean

·
Registered
corolly
324 Posts
are you sure that yours is carbed? they did have fuel injected wagons, i believe the all trac ones. as far as the temp sensor if its bad, get a new one. that would have something to do with your fans if your sensor is bad then your fans will just run all the time when the key is in the on position or the car is started, its a fail safe design. your thermostat could be bad too, usually when they go bad their fail safe design will leave them completely open, that would explain why your temp gauge doesnt get to normal temp

as far as if it is carbed, ive never heard of a carbed motor having a tps or afm, but then again i dont know everything

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
are you sure that yours is carbed? they did have fuel injected wagons, i believe the all trac ones. as far as the temp sensor if its bad, get a new one. that would have something to do with your fans if your sensor is bad then your fans will just run all the time when the key is in the on position or the car is started, its a fail safe design. your thermostat could be bad too, usually when they go bad their fail safe design will leave them completely open, that would explain why your temp gauge doesnt get to normal temp

as far as if it is carbed, ive never heard of a carbed motor having a tps or afm, but then again i dont know everything

Yep its carbed for sure not FI still looking for an answer to the codes I cant pass smog and I need to get them fixed.
I dont think its the right code description there is no TPS so I need to find out what it means HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
corolly
324 Posts
here is what i suggest. you said the CEL light goes off? first make sure your temp sensor is plugged in. if it is then its probably bad. go pick up one at the auto parts store and change it. second erase your codes on your ecu by disconnecting the battery. then drive it around for a little and see if the CEL comes on. if so then pull the codes and see which ones show up then let us kno

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here is what i suggest. you said the CEL light goes off? first make sure your temp sensor is plugged in. if it is then its probably bad. go pick up one at the auto parts store and change it. second erase your codes on your ecu by disconnecting the battery. then drive it around for a little and see if the CEL comes on. if so then pull the codes and see which ones show up then let us kno
Ok cool I will give that a shot thanx!:D

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I replaced the Thermostat, the Temp sender and the fan switch.
I cleared all the codes and so far so good after 2 starts my check engine light has not come back on I am hoping it will stay off!:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts