Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried doing a search and came up with nothing. So here is my question/problem. I have a gen3 camry with air bags. I am going to put a different steering wheel on it (sparco,momo) and I'm not exactly sure on how to go about it. I know some of you guys have aftermarket steering wheels, so give me some pointers. Also I noticed in the Haynes manual that after the wheel comes off you have a plug for the airbag and cruise control. What do I do with that? Does the sparco hub cover it or what? Also, since I'm taking the airbag out I'm going to get rid of the passenger airbag as well. So is there something that I should do besides unhooking the plug such as unplugging the brain to the airbag? Please, any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Camry Coupe
399 Posts
I wouldn't suggest you remove the stock steering wheel. What if you need the airbag in the future? No body wants to have an accident but you never know.

·
CTM/ShiftGate CAMRY
Jspec 92 Camry V6
974 Posts
Im doing the same with my car and will sell my stearing wheel to the highest bidder!!! LOL But If i remember correctly(can some one help us here) but there is a fuse or something to disarm it???

·
Bootyologist
2004 Toyota Camry LE
1,531 Posts
selling airbags violate federal regs.and laws....be careful...i can tell you private owned dealers would them.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i did mine about a year ago.and love it.all you have to do is remove the air bag as the manule sayes(if you dont have one here is what you do,
1undo the + cable one the batery,then tern on the headlights for no less then one minute,then pop off thetwo covers located on each side of the wheel,with torcks undo the three screws and then pry them out a little more with a screw drive,pull the air bag out then undo the wires)after you do all that you can remove the housing(the part around the shaft)then take the round wire loom off but you have to cut the yellow wires first*cut them where you can rewire them if you have to*thenput your hub on and put on your wheel all done.

i say dont sell the wheel or airbag,i had to put mine back in today becouse i had to go to a state referee.thay run your codes and if the ecu sayes bad air bag thay wount pass you.your state might be different but in cali you cant remove an air bag.

dont remove the sencer unless your state sayes you can,and if you remove the passengers to,on mine to drivers is gone but the passengers will still work,and is less work if you have to put it back on.

good luck to all that do this:thumbup:

·
Traitor
332 Posts
other than the fact that they are hard to come across....why dont you just put on a celica steering wheel like ratko did?

you keep the airbag...but you lose cruise control to my knowledge

·
Traitor
332 Posts
warlock said:
celica wheel match perfict and you keep cruise control
http://www.tt-cc.com/ratko/celi-wheel.JPG
no i think thats wrong...i remember emailing ratko about it awhile back...and i think i remember him saying something about splicing two wires and you lose your cruise but the airbags still work

ratko where are you...you can tell us for sure :cool:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, I've been tied up at work as well. But thanks to all that replied with help. I already have the sparco hub and a steering wheel. Hopefully if everthing works out I'll have it on some time next week.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
steering wheel removal

tolls needed
one 10mm wrench
one T 30 torck
one knife or screw driver
one 19 mm socket and wrench

i reinstalled mine today and here is a detailed how to:
1.undo the battery

2.turn on headlights for no less than one minute

3.remove covers on each side of wheel. then use a T 30 torck to remove it, take a screwdriver and bop it out to the holding tabs

4. pull off air bag and remove air bag and cruse control wire harness

5.remove the round wire loom

6.cut air bag wires and tape so thay don't short out make sher you can rewire it if you have to like i did (that is why it is p/h

7, install hub, at this time you will need to make your own presser
plate for your horn to work. i haven't done this so i dont have any pics, sorry

8.i say put on 3 screws and put the battery on and make sure the wheel is straight. then remove the wheel, add the horn part, thighten all the screws and your done.

i hope this helps some people out there:thumbup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts