Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into getting a system.. I dont really got the money yet but want to find out what to save up for I was wondering if Pyle systems are anygood or if anyone has heard them at all? thanks for any help

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Need to know some kind of budget, otherwise a cheap system for me runs about 2K, what are you going for? no sub? big sub? coax or componets? how many amps? want to run everything off 1 amp? willing to install yourself?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not really looking to buy until next spring/summer but trying to find out what it is I want exactly so I know what to save up for and what to look for deals for.. I am thinkin 2 12's in a bandpass/plexiglass enclosure.. possibly running off of 1 amp but 2 if neccesary and will be installing myself... budget hopefully no more than 700-850 but all depends...

·
Registered
159 Posts
It always trips me out when somebody is getting a system, the only thing they mention is the subwoofers which only plays a small portion of the music.

In any case, what you should really be doing is educating yourself on the car audio basics so when you're ready to purchase a system, you will be making the right choices for yourself.

Go here and lurk:

http://www.carsound.com/cgi-bin/UBB_CGI/ultimatebb.cgi

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just responding to put my little to cents in. Recently I did a really cheap system for a friend lcd screen dvd, mp3, cd player, EQ, 2 pioneer 3 way 6x8, and 3 jbl 10in 400 watt rms subs. Powered by a rockford amp and some other cheap amp no freakin clue what the name is , all for 700. That's freakin cheap. I told him don't tell anyone I did his system. But the shit shockingly sounded alright:lol: When we turned it on I laughed for a good 2 min. cause he said thats it. I said what the hell yoiu expected. To sound like mine. So the moral is you get what you pay for but sometimes you get lucky

As advice I wouldn't cheap out on amps. Head units you can be moderate in price. Speakers will sound decent regardless of price. Subs are gonna give bass. If anything I would cheap out on subs and receivers. But still get a decent name brand. Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
99 camry le v6
148 Posts
for headunits i would go with pioneer, eclipse, or alpine. subs jl audio, but since this a budget you might want to get some rockfords or something from best buy, those usually come cheap and with a box included. the amps arent nearly as pricey as jl audio but they arent as high quality either. for 6.5's,6x9's, etc... would go with pioneer, kenwood, or rockford fosgate since you want something that wont be too expensive. and dont be afraid to do all the work yourself, there's really nothing to it. but whatever you do STAY AWAY FROM SONY, those are crap when it comes to car audio.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
Invest in your front speaker, I mean spend the most money on this section of your build, next the HU, then your sub, then amps. I have switched more amps than anything and realized its not the amp, its the speakers, doh!

·
Registered
159 Posts
As far as physical objects, absolutely it is the front stage speakers that will make the biggest difference in a system.

I've always felt that if the head unit could play whatever format I desired then I was golden. I do not feel that way any longer. If I was to buy a new head unit, I would seriously look into getting one of those high end, all programmable, 31 band 1/3 octave, 4-way active crossover, everything but the kitchen sink models. My reasoning is to cut down on the components and wiring in the signal chain. Simpler is better.

Good bass is fairly easy to get now days. As long as you exclude the Swap Meet as a shopping destination.
Concerning amps, I feel that power is power and I would shop for reliability and build quality.

I would rate expert installation as the all out deciding factor in sound quality.

So, after all that hot wind my conclusion is? I agree with eddiem67.

·
Registered
392 Posts
eddiem67 said:
Invest in your front speaker, I mean spend the most money on this section of your build, next the HU, then your sub, then amps. I have switched more amps than anything and realized its not the amp, its the speakers, doh!
You say you've switch amps like nothin but what are you really running. When you buy cheap amps you by cheap power. The guy is trying to spend $700 bucks. If I wanted to run a system that was decent I would run 4 pioneer or kenwood compatible replacements and some subs whatever one he likes all for about $250. Get a good amp Jbl, rockford, mtx, infinity, for about $300. And get a reciever for $200. And I bet his system would sound damn good. Not competition stuff but clean sounding equipment. And it will be easy upgrading. Who needs processors and shit in a HU. What do you really think that gonna make decent system sound that much better. Please!!

I don't know about you guys the amps you buy is the most important part of a system. This is makes or breaks any system. If you are not running good amps you are not giving your speakers and subs a chance to even play at there ability. You are giving your speaker distortion and pulling useless current from your battery and capacitors becouse your amp is no good.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
You say the most important part in your system are the amps and then you say buy JBL, MTX and Rockford? :confused: If you want to invest in amps why arent you picking sinfoni and brax. Im sure they will make your audiobahn component set sound really good. There is alot of equipment out there, and the majority of it is stuff that you mentioned (circuit city, best buy, good guys stuff) which is fine for the average joe, but obviously you have not heard a car with processors, correct phase, and imaging. Tuning is key so make your system sound like a competitor car, but you can't tune if your speakers are not designed to create the image you seek.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
finese1 said:
You say you've switch amps like nothin but what are you really running. .
Currently running DLS and switching to some tru technology's T03 series amps. And your point is?

·
Registered
392 Posts
You can't buy Jbl amps at circut city. No average joe is running Jbl amps. It's out the range of most people. And plus I am going with hard fact numbers. And I like audiobahn but not componets come on. I do like their subs. I do mix and match i would like to build a good sounding system with one name but I really can't. I mean it seems like you like to play with these equipment but i don't play around that much. BUt you quote me on this JBL is putting out some of the best amps on the market. And real high power stuff. I am looking for efficient, clean, raw, and lots of available power.

You want processors but really how much better sound are we getting with shitty amps. If your signals ain't clean what the point of processing it. You want 5.1 digital suround with feed back in your speakers. Why just invest in a serious crossover system? Doesn't your Eclipse HU have a processor? You keep switching amps . Are you lacking something. What is the benefit in the tru technologies amp than the DLS you have? What about amps like Crossfire, they are winning competitions why aren't you using those? I know for a fact that the pull a lot of current and they are more efficient amps out now that are better than them. What about amps like Orion? Shit if you want to burn up power why not Soundstream. Or high quality like Sherwood. It bothers me when somebody changes something without explaining the benefit or gain. I don't think it is "cool" to change stuff without purpose. Or is your purpose to experiment? NOt to say that's bad, but why are you choosing the stuff you buy?

Don't get all worked about this. Just trying to understand the other person typing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
As far as as I used to know sherwood was decent.:lol: I guess for the time. I really have no clue how they are now.:lol: But that is not the point anyways.

·
Got SQ?
780 Posts
I'v been doing systems for 20 years, I started out back in pyle ev days with monster kenwood amps and when rockford had real amps and I love to play with equipment. There is absolutely nothing wrong with amps that I buy, it is strictly preference and room for my install. I was going to run 4 DLS A3 amps (1 to tweets/mids, 1 to midbass, 2 to subs) but the I dont have the space. A T03 and H1 can do the same job with have the space. As far as running PPI, Arc's...just playing with amps cause I can. Dont even ask how many components speakers I went through till I found the ones I like. And HU, well lets just say I am looking at a P9 combo right now, will it be my last deck, probably not. I like to buy and test things instead of reading specs, reviews, or seeing how many trophies they have, all that is irrelevant. Its what my ears like to hear, not what joe schmoe likes to hear and writes about it.

There are tons of people running JBL amps, go to sounddomain those guys love em, cause they cheap and have lots of power.

Black you can get a very nice system for 700.00 bones, you just have to do your research. Dont go to best buy or circuit and get all your stuff there. Buy some ED subs, maybe some Avionixx amps, HU go with eclipse or alpine, CDT components are good or if you want to DIY then some Vifa or Sea Lotus.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well I do use the Jbl amp I think they are over priced honestly. Right now you pay a $1 a watt. And that's like old school standards. If you wanna know my system is worth well over 2k. Closer to 3k. 700-800 dollars is what i spend on amps. Really I took a risk with JBL. But a calculated one. They are way better than Rockford or MTX. My mono amp is cleaner than most Class AB amps which says a lot.

Now I seen amps like DTI which are comp level amps. Who knows how good they are. I have experiment with amps you may have never heard like Interfire which are similar to a HIfonics but very clean power. Rockford I have used and it's all right. But I hear a Huge difference with the Jbl. I get cleaner heavier bass. And a shit load of more power. Somtimes so heavy I'm sure i'm getting to the 20hz-18hz area. I do run audiobahn subs but their higher line. Not circut city stuff. But lets be honest we all go to circut city and like to hear what is out there. I have ran shit like Cerwin Vega. Very good low power subs. Very impressive. Handles a lot more than they say.

BUt I think the next thing I want to try is Orion, or maybe JL. I might jump on they JL band wagon.:lol: But right now just tryin to finish up what i got now. Don't know when I will be finished:lol: Don't think I'll really be finished.:lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts