Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so heres the thing i got a 93 camry with a 3vz-fe v6 motor inside and i have problems with it. 1st of it is running rough so the first thing i did was change the spark plugs this helped a little but the problem was still there. im thinking its the plug wires so with the car on i pulled the plug wires one by one to see if it was the wires the only cylinder affected was number 2 so i figured it was the spark plug wire for sure. just to double check i took number 2 plug wire and swithed it with number 4 both on the cap and in the cylinder and i still had the same problem. im lost already and need some help if anyone can help me i would appreciate it. if there is any other questions i could help on let me know thanks

·
HID/Retrofit Expert
2002 Camry LE
4,305 Posts
Try cleaning your throttle body and IAC valve.

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
also something that can help is fuel injector cleaner, lucas is good, this should help some.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys any other thing i should try do if its not that? i'll keep you posted im going to do the things you guys told me and i'll let you know how it goes thanks again

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
You can measure the resistance of the plug wires, should be 25K ohm or less. Was the electrode appearance of the No 2 sparkplug different then the others? Could be the No 2 injector is a little plugged. Run some cleaner through them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i cleaned the throttle body up and put in some fuel injection cleaner it seemed to help a bit. my friend came over and we were checking the car and noticed i had a vacuum leak so i put on a new hose it helped a little more but i still have a vacuum leak somewhere. well thats what we think. does anyone know how to check vacuum leaks more indepth? i heard spraying the hoses with carb and choke cleaner and if the car runs worse then one of the hoses sucked in the cleaner and i have a vacuum leak. well thats what i heard. all help is appreciated thanks guys for the replies and keep it coming

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
superman_143 said:
i cleaned the throttle body up and put in some fuel injection cleaner it seemed to help a bit. my friend came over and we were checking the car and noticed i had a vacuum leak so i put on a new hose it helped a little more but i still have a vacuum leak somewhere. well thats what we think. does anyone know how to check vacuum leaks more indepth? i heard spraying the hoses with carb and choke cleaner and if the car runs worse then one of the hoses sucked in the cleaner and i have a vacuum leak. well thats what i heard. all help is appreciated thanks guys for the replies and keep it coming

The technique of using the spray cleaner is correct, but your expected results are wrong. When you find the leak by spraying the cleaner all around, the cleaner being sucked in through the leak will make the car run smoother. When there is a vacuum leak the car is sucking in too much unmetered air and is usually running too lean. The extra combustable liquid cleaner being sucked in will make the car run richer and smooth things out.

Mike

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
^exactly, its a great troubbleshooting tool! and when you hear the car revv slightly...you know youve got it!

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
start engine, open hood, listen for a slight hissing sound near vacuum lines.
the carb cleaner is the best way- clean, easy, exact, not gonna hurt anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok here the thing guys... i have sprayed the cleaner all by the lines and i haven't noticed any change in the idle or performance of the car. im back to square one and have no other ideas. does any one else know what else could be wrong? thanks guys

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
superman_143 said:
ok here the thing guys... i have sprayed the cleaner all by the lines and i haven't noticed any change in the idle or performance of the car. im back to square one and have no other ideas. does any one else know what else could be wrong? thanks guys

In your first post you stated you switched the number 2 plug wire with the number 4 plug wire and still had the same problem. I assume you meant you still had the miss in the number 2 cylinder, while the number 4 cylinder fired normally; then your problem is with that number 2 cylinder. If that is the case, then I would change out the distributor cap and also the rotor while you have access to it. If this doesn't solve the problem, I would next change out the entire set of plug wires. If the problem still persists, I would do a compression test to determine if that number 2 cylinder is loosing compression. If the compression test varifies good compression accross the board, I would then have to look at the fuel injector for the number 2 cylinder. That would involve removing the fuel rail and swapping the injector with another cylinder. If the miss moves to that other cylinder, then you know that injector is bad and needs to be replaced. Before removing the fuel rail make sure you have a new set of o-rings for the injectors, as they will be needed when replacing the injectors. The old ones will probably dissintegrate when you remove them.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i forgot to mention i also changed all the spark plug wires,cleaned the throttle body, changed oil, used sefoam in car, changed vacuum hose, and still the car runs rough. should i still still check the compression and check all the injectors?

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
superman_143 said:
well i forgot to mention i also changed all the spark plug wires,cleaned the throttle body, changed oil, used sefoam in car, changed vacuum hose, and still the car runs rough. should i still still check the compression and check all the injectors?

First you stated that you "changed vacuum hose". There are numerous vacuum hoses in the car. Did you check/and or change them all? That said, a vacuum leak usually doesn't cause just that one cylinder (number 2) to misfire. I would therefore move on to changing the distributor cap and rotor. If that doesn't solve the problem I would then look at the compression and the injectors.

Mike

·
Dealer Tech..not Toyota
540 Posts
what spark plugs did you get?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts