Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lost! I think my radiator is toast but not sure. Here's the problem... After the car has been running for a while and under some kind of load, it starts to overheat. If I crank the heat, it sometimes cools down, when the temp. does drop it drops instantly, almost like there's a big air pocket or somethig, if it doesn't drop, well then it gets really pissed and starts steaming and the radiator cap starts making noises and it starts spitting water out of the overflow.

Here's what I've tried so far....

Changed the thermostat

Flushed the system added new coolent and water

Pulled the thermostat and ran without one

Pulled the main hose on the ignition side and ran water through to make sure everything was circulating correctly

Ran the car each time and still does the same thing!!!

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^ Mine does the exact opposite. My temp. goes WAY low. I'm going to have the coolant replaced this weekend... and hopefully that will do it. If not, I'm gonna replace the thermostat. What happened when you ran without the thermostat?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JekylandHyde said:
Are you sure you are properly bleeding the coolant system?
There is a specific procedure for doing it in the MR2.

Slight amounts of air in the system will cause over heating.

Is your gauge actualyl reading hot or is you radiator cap boiling/bubbling over?

yea it's boiling and bubbling over! and no i'm not sure i'm bleeding it correctly! i've tried everything though, and it's driving me insane!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.