Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( Hi guys, I've noticed something was wrong with my motor a few days ago when i accidentally added a bit more oil then what i needed, and i'm leaking coolant from the front of the motor. Somewhere between the turbo and the exhaust manifold.

Here's the story. I got a MAGNAFLOW exhaust because my HKS one was broken and noticed that it was backfiring. Because i didn't want to ruin a new cat, i took it off so that it wouldn't melt. boost was great because there is less restriction and also less back pressure. That's the problem less pressure. I was driving home one night after taking off my exhaust my oil indicator came on. Forgetting to realize that the light came on because of less pressure i stopped and check my oil. It was dark and i tried bouncing off the light to see where the oil was and stupidly saw that it was low on oil. I have an extra qt in my car so i went ahead and added.

Next morning i check it again and "OH 7#1(!" It was high. i raised the car and drain but i think it was too late. I changed the oil and drove but i noticed and substantial lost in HP. I floored the gas bu it took forever to rev. Like a lo HP car. Turbo is boosting at 14 psi but the car wouldn't go. I checked the oil and noticed there was a smell of gasoline.

I'm thinking that i've busted one of my piston ring and caused too much blowby to the lower block so now i'm without my TWO:( . If anyone have has this problem before please let me know what you did and what could possibly be wrong. I would appreciated very much. Also if the engine needs rebuilding, is it cheaper to get anew engine or rebuild.

-Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Before you get your hopes up, just know I know nothing about this type of stuff. I just wanted to at least throw some sympathy your way. That really sucks. I will be interested in hearing more about this situation, the causes, the symptoms and the solution. I hope that you didnt mess up a piston ring. So what should one normally do in this type of situation? If I am reading correctly, what happened is that you put on a high flow exhaust, especially since the cat was removed, and so there was not enough backpressure. So, how does one go balancing out the backpressure then, the right way?

You put extra oil in it because the oil pressure was showing low. I guess I'm just trying to understand how all it takes to fry your engine is putting on a high flow exhaust, or was it the fact that you added oil to it that fried it? Even then that freaks me out, all you had to do was put too much oil in it. Hmmm, then again, I'm pretty ignant...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm not so sure if that was the case but it seems to have lost a tremedous amount of power after i added the oil though. I am borrowing a compressiong tester from a friend to test it out then i'll post a result. I am starting to take out my turbo tomorrow to replace my radiator hoses. It's going to be a bitch. wish me luck

·
Registered
1990 Celica GTS
2,714 Posts
Too much oil won't do that. When you check oil after the car just shut off, it'll be low cause oil still sitting on top. Check spark plug for some clue on why. Maybe turbo bearing blown due to low oil?

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,967 Posts
what gen mr is it? a compression test would be good it may be a bad headgasket and is causing it to misfire and stumble. you not having a muffler won't hurt the motor cause your turbo is adding to the pressure already. the oil being a little to high won't hurt also. but if the oil light came on while you were driving that it's possible your pump is going. so i would look into that. star looking for another motor cause it may be too late.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.