Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be the beginning, an introduction of sorts, for a thread, devoted to the travels of my Tacoma, affectionately nicknamed "The Yak" by my wife for luck. I finally felt it safe to begin this thread as my wife and I are already deeply committed to this journey. We have been steadily working away, trying to plan and organize for a journey that will culminate in over 25000 kms, and which will ultimately take flight in only 4 and some odd rapidly approaching months, on June 27th 2007.

I have set about preparing for this trip as a personal challenge, with the intention to share an undoubtedly awesome experience with some of my friends here who I think will appreciate the pictures and details of magnificent landscapes, and the challenges involved in travelling from one coast to the other, living in a Tacoma, with a tent, and some gear . If you would like to follow my route and experiences it will be good to have you along for the ride.

So where are we going? Well starting this summer, my wife and I are embarking on the first part of a two part journey. Our goal is to see and experience everything our magnificent country of Canada has to offer, from coast to coast. We will be meeting up with friends and family along the way, and with any luck we hope to get to meet some new friends.

The first part will take us from the hectic confines of what is Southern Ontario to Quebec, into some remote regions of Labrador, south to Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, then north through New Brunswick, back into Quebec, then finally home. For this first part we will be on the road, living from our truck for the majority of time, over roughly a 6 week span.

The second part, which is significantly longer (10 weeks allotted), will again take us away from home in Southern Ontario, across the Canadian prairies, up through the rockies, and into the Yukon, before turning around and heading home via a more northerly route. The final date of departure for the second half of our journey has yet to be determined, but it will be some time in the spring/summer of 08 as we are both restricted by how much vacation and personal time we can take away from work in one fiscal year.

Most truck mods like the ones I have done, have been documented at some point yet some have not been. My tent setup, food and gear storage have not been, and I'll update and provide detail on these things shortly. My wife and I are attending The Outdoor Adventure Show in Toronto next weekend to research and examine a couple options before final preps are made. The route has not been finalized either but is coming together, the map below gives you an idea. We are not firm on this route and we intend on using it as our general guide only. A 4 day test run up to our cottage property in Miller Lake (ON) has been planned for mid May, so hopefully all goes well.

The GCEC Team and the guys and gals of MEC in Toronto have been a big help in procuring info and educating me on certain gear for our trip so a big thanks to them. Emails to Parks Canada has also proved to been very helpful with info on places to stay and see so big thanks to them also. Anyway stay turned. I'll try and provide as many updates as I can as things come along.

·
Engine 80 is in service
'10 FJ Cruiser 4x4
1,040 Posts
Amazing. Something I wish I could force myself to make time to do. I can't wait to follow along.

·
Forumatic Immunity!
05 Taco DC LB V6 TRD
3,745 Posts
this is amazing. wish i had the time and knowledge to do stuff like this man. keep us posted.

·
Ron Jeremy's twin brother
06 Tacoma-SOLD
1,461 Posts
That sounds fantastic - much better than sitting around and talking about truck mods on the internet..... Lots of remote, unknown territory in the Canadian wilderness.

You've got my attention and support.

·
It's an Epiphany
146 Posts
Man, that sounds amazing. I have spent some time in the Canadian Rockes and they are absolutely breathtaking. I think that if I were to live anywhere out of California it would be in the outskirts of Vancouver due to its proximity to the activities I love. AN have a great trip.

·
Registered
'06 Prerunner TRD
1,093 Posts
I will be excited to hear about updates and admire pics! That's awesome, you are a true adventurer...

·
14 Corolla Ssssss
90 Posts
Good luck North!!! Will you have access to internet during the travel (wireless or something)? I know you will be in the "wilds" for much of the trip but it would be nice to know your not "stuck" somewhere.

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
Thats going to be so much fun! Stop by and see me in Maine, We can get your truck all cleaned up, Im sure it will be pretty messy:D My wife and I will be doing something similar in the future. We were way up in northern Quebec last fall. It was beautifull up there! I need to make to your end someday. My sig pic was taken in canada.

So wow, have fun!

·
Mountaineer
499 Posts
Keep us posted, looks like it should be a great time. I can only imagine the stories you will have and share for the reast of your life.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hey AdventureNorth, i Live in North Bay, so unless your taking highway 69 to Sudbury, you'll be passing through North Bay. Feel free to stop in and say helloor maybe, Depending on when your coming through, I could take my truck with my girl and we could take a small trip up to my cottage (Marten River) 30 - 40 minutes north of North Bay and spend the night there if you want! PM or e-mail me if you are interested.

If not well good luck and i look forward to following your travels :canada:

·
My Other Truck
4,263 Posts
All the makings of a Grand Adventure! Thanks for sharing it with TN members. I look forward to following your travels. We will all be living vicariously through your posts... :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good luck! Lots of fun crossing Canada..... The drive between Banff and Jasper is quite nice if you fancy that route. I found the sunshine coast north of Vancouver and Vancouver island to be a nice treat. Either way, I'm sure you'll have fun!

·
Taco Freak
107 Posts
thats cool!!! here i can see the whole island in 3 freaking days!!! lol!!! too small compared to canada!!

·
Registered
317 Posts
AN

I am excited for you and looking forward to all stories and breath taking pictures of Canada.

I may be driving to TO, Canada this summer too but haven't committed yet

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally had some nice weather today to begin to prefit some of the gear for our trip. After me and my buddy wrestled around with the 120 lbs of tent (awkward because it's so big) we finally got the holes drilled and the bolt positions set. I only snapped a few of pics of the tent mounted over the bed but here are couple. Just taking a small break before I get back to work on the gear loft I'm adding for added storage in the cab. Things will begin to start moving more quickly now that the weather is getting better.

·
"Clean" the best mod.
2,276 Posts
Any pics of it opened up?

·
Trevor
2,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had it opened but never thought to take pics at the time. It looks like this however with the ladder opening to the ground. I'll have more pics at a later time.

·
Badassness
2005 Tacoma
511 Posts
That's so awesome, don't forget to take pictures and show us how you mounted it all up.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts