Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the problems with my Toyota Camry Wagon (1990) with 121,000 miles.

1. The right front control arm (probably both) needs replaced. The radius arm bushings also probably needs replaced/fixed.

(Oil from the engine has been dripping down onto the control arms. What could be the cause of that?)

2. Left rear strut.

3. Cracked front exhaust pipe (flex pipe)

4. All 4 rotors

Should I try to get this stuff fixed or look into buying a new car?

·
Boondock Saint
280 Posts
If you can do most of the work yourself then i'd advise you to keep the car. If you're gonna replace one of the struts you might as well replace them all. I'd recommend kyb gr-2's because of their nice firm ride. I'd also recommend some slotted rotors like powerstops or something. As for the control arms and the oil leak, check all the seals because age is definitely not on your cam's side. I had to replace all the seals on my 89 cam. Just the parts alone shouldn't be too much. If you think of it this way, its prolly better to fix up a car you know to be reliable instead of buying another car with an unknown reliability record unless its a celica alltrac..those are sick.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The listed items are normal wear and tear items and don't really give an indication of how the rest of the car is. The oil leak could be the sign of an engine swap. I would consider making sure that the leak is nothing serious, before putting more money into it. The mileage is not that high, but the age is getting up there. If corrosion is a problem, other major costs may be nearing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an oil leak as well, it was coming from the head gasket, and was only 150.00 to fix.

There may be another leak from an oil (seal or valve) which will be around 90.00 to replace all 3 but I'm not worried about it, I get a discount on parts and labor at the dealership I work at.

·
Not so Noob now!
557 Posts
Personally I'd keep the car and fix those problems... Given the car is in otherwise good shape.

·
Registered
66 Posts
DPK Check your power steering pump, they leak right down on
the right control arm. Heck i'd keep it, as long as the bodies not shot, you can always get your money back out of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts