Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
You knew what this was.
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well they told me Toyota's were reliable, and I have to say they really are.

After much toil and hardship it finally made it to 200,000 USA miles.
Still going strong, so far all it needs is struts, motor mounts, and a damn Paint job !
Looks like crap but i don't care it runs and drives great! goes 80 on the freeway fairly easily
and holds it there steadily. I would like to put some toyota rims on it mabey from a later model Corolla.

·
You knew what this was.
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well come on what do you guys think ? Let me have it

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,678 Posts
Let us know when you get to 300k miles. ;)

·
Toyota. Possibilities.
Camry, Corolla
189 Posts
193590 miles is all mines done so far. or for the aussies (like myself) 311554 KM's. breaking the 300000 mark here in aus just doesn't cut it eh? and i'm lucky, i get to avoid all the hassle of replacing/repairing the bearings, i have a reco'd engine sitting in my bay with only about 20000 k's on it. so my comment about it being as high as it is isn't even true.

·
日産自動車パ&#
2004 Nissan Maxima
553 Posts
Ill be to 200 in 40k miles.

·
You knew what this was.
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The engine and trans are the best parts of these cars. But the suspension IMO isnt worth a shit for hard daily driving thru the tough city streets. So far I had to replace a bunch of suspension components Just to keep the car safe on the roads ....

Tie rod ends on both sides.
Control arms on both sides.
Bearings on the passenger side
2 Sway bar bushings and one bracket. (dealer only items)
Hub on the passenger side with the lugs.
Caliper on Passenger side.

Needs shocks/struts all around for a better ride but are not really needed to keep the car safe so I will probably break it up into front and back.

I dont know if I will ever do the motor mounts on this ride.

Better pics to come !!

·
You knew what this was.
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone know where i can get Decent struts for this car at a fair price ? These things are expensive !
I hate to say it but I want cheap ones.

·
セクシーの定&#
Camry Touring
891 Posts
Good work!

My Camry has done 307 772 km, which is about 191 241 miles. Has anyone's Camry done 500k km's (or 310k miles) on the original engine and gearbox(excluding new clutch)? I would love to see that :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had an 87 that blew an exhaust valve at around 614,000 km on the original engine. I figured it was time to let her go, so I drove it around on 3 cylinders until I found an 87 navy blue LE with 300k that was mint when I got it. Rust is always a losing battle with the Gen2s.

Here she is having fun :D

·
3s-gte in a Camry?!?
'89 Camry Alltrac
8,678 Posts
My parents did nothing other than fluids and filters (no timing belt!) until 180k miles when the timing belt broke. I drove the car until I crashed it at 267k miles. It was on its second clutch, third timing belt and third water pump. Most of the suspension had been upgraded, but no serious motor/trans work.

My Turbo Camry was at over 300k miles when the previous owner put a turbo on the stock motor. The motor blew with too much boost and not enough fuel. That car has 322k miles on it now, but with the 3s-gte in it (though, it is soon to be scrapped).

My Alltrac is the baby of the family. I bought it with 92k miles on it and it is up to 118k miles now (in just a year and a half!). The motor has some issues (valve clearance, I think), but runs and drives great - I get over the factory rated fuel economy every fill up. :D

-Charlie

·
You knew what this was.
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The motor on this car car is getting a little tired since most of these miles are in the city (about 80%)
It likes the highway a lot better, it loves to rev up !

Wheres a good place to start looking for some decent struts ? Nothing fancy just stock ones for a smooth ride.

·
Registered
90 Camry LE V6
47 Posts
I just turned 190k yesterday on the way home from work.

·
Registered
1990 Camry Deluxe
241 Posts
hey disregard, how do you like your Camry compared to the Dodge Spirit? How do they run Campared to each other?

·
You knew what this was.
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey disregard, how do you like your Camry compared to the Dodge Spirit? How do they run Campared to each other?

Well the reason I got the Camry was because my Dodge Spirit started knocking.It was leaking oil vigorously out of the cam and crank seals AFTER I fixed the valve cover gasket leaks. I drove the knocking 2.5 liter 4 cyl Dodge Spirit for about another 1000 miles gently, knowing that it could throw a rod at any second. I saw the Camry sitting in my mechanics parking lot after he told me it would cost 700 dollars to replace the engine with a newer one. After thinking about it for a few days and saying "Nope" I bought the Camry off my mechanic for 500 bucks and forgot about the Poor Dodge. Its still sitting in the back of my yard and im afraid to start it knowing that it knocks the worst when you havent messed with it for a long time...

I still might replace the engine if I can get a cheap one, but other then that I dont know what to do with it.

·
Registered
1990 Camry Deluxe
241 Posts
Get rid of it and get another Camry. Mabey a V6? I used to love Chrysler products bacause my father always bought them but they really seem subpar IMO these days.

·
You knew what this was.
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah but the thing is about these old school American cars is their body's and suspension can take alot more damage before something catastrophic happens on the road. They can take rust better and they can take the harsh inner city streets better based on what I have experienced. My dodge doesnt have a single rust spot on it although the paint is pretty much nonexistent on the roof. No rust on the body at all and its been thru many harsh cold salty wet and snowy streets. But the Camry is getting eaten alive by it every winter month. So if and when the Camry breaks in half from the rust then I will put the dodge back on the road...and then look for another gen2 or gen3 because of how reliable they are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
congrats on reaching 200k miles! had a '90 with 200k. i see the new brunswick on the truck in that picture, so we've probably crossed paths before.

·
You knew what this was.
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More Pics

I promised more pics and here they are!

White interior lights from another 88 LE sorta matches the exterior color.
Sony Xplod headunit with pioneer speakers all around.
Nothing really fancy but it gets the job done well.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts