Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
275K, 5spd, 2nd owner. New to Toyota's but not cars. Picked this up for 700$ to get me through winter till I fix my girlfriends Honda next spring.

It's fairly reliable, has an exhaust leak, burns oil and gets fair mileage.

I've installed LED Headlights and front/rear sidemarkers. Makes the car look a little updated.

Little to no rust veritably anywhere. A small spot under the filler door, easy fix. Frame and suspension is great except needing new bushings and maybe struts all around. Brake and clutch reservoir were pretty low so they were filled with DOT3. Oil goes from full to low in 500 or so miles.

Interior is in great condition, not a single tear on any seat. One door panel has 3 small cracks in the vinyl. Missing center glove box. Needs new headliner.

I enjoy the car, it has some problems but always starts and goes down the road. Solid up to 85mph then minor wheel vibrations.

Here's a few pics. If anyone's got any input or advice it would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
948 Posts
275K, 5spd, 2nd owner. New to Toyota's but not cars. Picked this up for 700$ to get me through winter till I fix my girlfriends Honda next spring.

It's fairly reliable, has an exhaust leak, burns oil and gets fair mileage.

I've installed LED Headlights and front/rear sidemarkers. Makes the car look a little updated.

Little to no rust veritably anywhere. A small spot under the filler door, easy fix. Frame and suspension is great except needing new bushings and maybe struts all around. Brake and clutch reservoir were pretty low so they were filled with DOT3. Oil goes from full to low in 500 or so miles.

Interior is in great condition, not a single tear on any seat. One door panel has 3 small cracks in the vinyl. Missing center glove box. Needs new headliner.

I enjoy the car, it has some problems but always starts and goes down the road. Solid up to 85mph then minor wheel vibrations.

Here's a few pics. If anyone's got any input or advice it would be appreciated!
Welcome!
Looks great. Don't see many 5spd.
Going through oil could be a seal (cam, crank, oil pump shaft) or the oil pump it's self.
The exhaust leak is possibly the ceramic gaskets from header to downpipe.
When it gets technical I've got the FSM for this year Camry since I've got 2.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Valve seals? I had an 84 and it would suck oil into the intake manifold, very noticeable when idling . Let it idle long enough and I could put a trail of smoke behind me for a few blocks that would hide an aircraft carrier.

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm planning to buy a UV test kit for the leak, if it is one. There's some oil just on and below the head below the number 1 cylinder doesn't look fresh.
Nothing too worrying but I will likely replace the dizzy o-rings and see what that does.

My goal for this car is to get at least 100k out of it.. don't mind turning wrenches either. I'd like to keep it just as a start to a "classic" car collection afterwards. I wouldn't want to get rid of it.

I drive it like a grandpa because that's what it was... grandpa's car hahaha. 5spd is a little slushy but still easy and has that AISIN reliability.

Thanks for the input, l will report with what I find from the test. Would any of these failing components make a noise? I'm sure the oil pump would. It also doesn't smoke unless it's cold.. thinking valve seats.

Welcome!
Looks great. Don't see many 5spd.
Going through oil could be a seal (cam, crank, oil pump shaft) or the oil pump it's self.
The exhaust leak is possibly the ceramic gaskets from header to downpipe.
When it gets technical I've got the FSM for this year Camry since I've got 2.
Exhaust leak is on the flexpipe coming from the exhaust mani. P/O put exhaust tape on it, but it just made a new hole, they didnt do it the way I do it... I take 2-3 pop cans, cut the ends off, and then make cylinders out of them, glue the cylinders together then tape it around the pipe with exhaust tape.

I have the FSM too, big help!

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also what would be a good oil? I have some full synthetic gtx high mileage. My Honda loved it. Would the toyota?

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
For the low clutch fluid check the slave for leaking and then also check the clutch master for a leak. It's possible that at this age they are both leaking. To check for a clutch master leak you have to go inside the car and pull back the carpet behind the pedals. When the master leaks externally, the fluid usually drips down the inside of the firewall and goes under the carpet. Repair what you find and bleed thoroughly.

Also, tin cans will not work to fix a break in the flex pipe. The flex pipe has to be just that; flexible. Something in the exhaust system has to be able to move forward and back to allow for the movement of the engine as it torques back and forth as the engine revs. If you make that flex pipe immovable, you may break something else in the exhaust system.

Mike

·
Registered
948 Posts
Is this an emissions or federal version?
I've got a bunch as to why it's "burning" oil. Sad thing is the FSM does NOT cover it.
My manual 85 had these blades in the head that I can't find anywhere
this is just after the intake manifold, before the valves
I tore it apart and brazed the hole up reinstalled with a copper washer. Tho I've yet to work on that car and finish it I know that's where I was burning oil

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice about fluids. I'm keeping a close eye on them for awhile.

Yes it's got a cat and an egr. Though my state doesn't require emissions past a certain mileage. I'll take a look at that part in the valvetrain next time I pop the valve cover off to install new bolts. was missing one luckily still has the thick washer gonna switch to bolts for the vc.

I noticed after checking the oil today it smelled like a twostroke.. my first thought is gas in the oil. Going to buy new injectors as soon as I can. Even if that doesn't solve it, it needs new ones anyways.

Still getting 400mi to a tank but I really wanna try hypermiling the car. I know that it can be extremely efficient if running correctly. Gonna take some time and money...

Also I'm looking for anyone that's come up with a good replacement for the intake hose. Mine was replaced and is fine but seems restrictive. Just a thought.

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this an emissions or federal version?
I've got a bunch as to why it's "burning" oil. Sad thing is the FSM does NOT cover it.
My manual 85 had these blades in the head that I can't find anywhere
this is just after the intake manifold, before the valves
I tore it apart and brazed the hole up reinstalled with a copper washer. Tho I've yet to work on that car and finish it I know that's where I was burning oil
Im confused. Are you just deleting those parts and plugging the hole? What are they? I didn't see anything in my FSM either.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Im confused. Are you just deleting those parts and plugging the hole? What are they? I didn't see anything in my FSM either.
I'll find the pic after work, but yes I'm finishing off the delete. These were passing oil to the intake.
I couldn't find them either, and no one knows what it is or for.
Also my manual 85 is stamped 1S on the block, my auto 85 has nothing stamped. Both are Cali emissions.

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll find the pic after work, but yes I'm finishing off the delete. These were passing oil to the intake.
I couldn't find them either, and no one knows what it is or for.
Also my manual 85 is stamped 1S on the block, my auto 85 has nothing stamped. Both are Cali emissions.
Could one buy a small bolt to fill the hole? Even fill with JB weld? I'm gonna have a look

·
Registered
948 Posts
Could one buy a small bolt to fill the hole? Even fill with JB weld? I'm gonna have a look
Okay, so this is the delete the po had done, or whatever. The "blades" are in the head just set to full open.

Brazed shut and copper washer to seal it off, my Camry is the first we've seen.
I'm tying to remember but I don't think my auto 85 has it

·
Registered
948 Posts
Oh and the "head" is 2 parts on this block, what you see leaking is the camshaft housing. You can use your choice of sealant here

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh and the "head" is 2 parts on this block, what you see leaking is the camshaft housing. You can use your choice of sealant here
Can I access those pieces by just removing the valve cover? It doesn't seem like it in my FSM. Just gonna remove and pretty much do what you did.

Is there an easy way to get the cam housing off without disturbing much of anything else? This is my DD so I can't just tear into it for a week or two as much as I want to lol

Great writeup and pics. I appreciate it.

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just noticed you have your engine in the trunk... is this a special Porsche model? :grin:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Just noticed you have your engine in the trunk... is this a special Porsche model? :grin:
Lmfao I didn't even notice that. No when I had the head off I had it stored in the trunk while I was working on it.
Currently that car is in need of the camshaft housing sealed and torqued and the timing set, along with the snazzy dizzy I got from 71Corrolla and a few other odds and ends, plus a complete suspension overhaul.
I got a thread going for my Camrys and another for my Corolla, but its gotten cold and I dislike working in it. Maybe soon Cali will decide to have a warm day or two who knows.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Can I access those pieces by just removing the valve cover? It doesn't seem like it in my FSM. Just gonna remove and pretty much do what you did.

Is there an easy way to get the cam housing off without disturbing much of anything else? This is my DD so I can't just tear into it for a week or two as much as I want to lol

Great writeup and pics. I appreciate it.
If you remove the valve cover you can look down the back side and see those
here is one of the mystery part I have on my phone, after finding the 1S stamp on my block it started to explain alot of things that I encountered. This is the cover up on the outside.
here is the housing to date, I have the lifter shims labeled on the manifold so I don't loose anything.

Edit: I've gotten the housing off and on with just removing the what's on top and the timing, it's super tight. I'd recommend removing the throttle body too. If you use JB I'd let it harden as much as possible, and make sure it can handle the heat AND fluids. One side will get beat by oil and the other by fuel.

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
If you remove the valve cover you can look down the back side and see those
here is one of the mystery part I have on my phone, after finding the 1S stamp on my block it started to explain alot of things that I encountered. This is the cover up on the outside.
here is the housing to date, I have the lifter shims labeled on the manifold so I don't loose anything.

Edit: I've gotten the housing off and on with just removing the what's on top and the timing, it's super tight. I'd recommend removing the throttle body too. If you use JB I'd let it harden as much as possible, and make sure it can handle the heat AND fluids. One side will get beat by oil and the other by fuel.
Nice bronze colored valvetrain.. someone was good about oil changes.

I'm going to try to see if I can access those pieces and mend them, do you have a picture of what needs to be cut off? Like a before and after? I'm sure I can find them on the engine just need a picture to reference when I modify them, if I do indeed find them. I will use JB Extremeheat, I've used it before to repair holes/cracks in 2-stroke engine cases with great success. - - I'm still curious if you could just put a bolt in replacement of that part? One small enough with the correct thread pitch would essentially do the same thing correct?

I've also torn off the plastic underbelly pieces and everything seems relatively dry, no puddles on the pieces themselves, so I don't think it's an external leak. It's hard to say. I did however check my oil earlier, it smelled like a 2-stroke so my first though its oil in the gas. Leaky injector? The car runs "OK" I can tell it's not performing optimally but damn good regardless. (300-400mi/tank)

It needs new injectors regardless due to age, alot of original parts on this car, except clutch and brake slaves so I don't think those are leaking (yet, we will see.)

I'm not having trouble finding parts online, but only engine/transmission parts. I'd like to find a cluster with a tach and the center glovebox at least.

Thanks for your help dude

·
Toyota Collector
11,833 Posts

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 129 Posts