Toyota Nation Forum banner

121 - 129 of 129 Posts

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
A little update on my 85... Ive been fiddling with the tach this morning and got it to work... about 3 times.

I did some more testing and found the mechanism itself is faulty, the coil spring is old. To get it to work, I took the needle off at 0, put it back on at 7k (redline) and pushed it down to zero, fired it up and it worked perfectly. 3 starts later and no joy anymore. When it worked it seemed quite accurate, registering cold idle at around 1200, and zooming up to redline when i revved it up. Over the course of a few starts, I could see the needle slowly dropping, eventually into oblivion

Anyone have a 1st gen tach unit they wanna sell?

·
Toyota Collector
11,833 Posts

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Wow, they have the taillight housings I need too... score! (Eventually.)

I just bought the cluster from ebay for 40$ so I'm not too set on buying a complete one, all I need is the tach mechanism from inside. Everything works except the tach and my LEDs look great in it.

-speaking of LED's does anyone have a source to decent mini-led's? Namely the tiny ones that go in place of the Climate control backsplash

·
Toyota Collector
11,833 Posts

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Alright cool... I also have a question as to why the arms on my climate controls dont light up. They probably do but are too dim to notice. I see the plastic diffusers for them but no light comes through. When I get LED's hopefully that will fix it.

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Been quite awhile since I've posted much of anything, but today I had a notable success, I repaired my A/C!

Shrink tubing some bare wires and replacing a blown fuse was all it took to cool down.

Also had the opportunity to track down my "upper engine" leak to an oil cap hanging by a thread. Fixed. I too replaced the Oil pressure sender because it had a small leak as well.

I finally had to replace one of my 10 year old tires last month and took the chance to replace both of the rear tires.Can't afford new ones up front quite yet so I hope they make it for now. They are damn good tires.

I kinda added some ticky tacky bs onto it and blacked out my reverse lights. Here's a present picture.

·
Kanmuri
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Sure wish @lieblos1 would hit me back up... I want my tach hahaha.

Anyways have an updated picture, replaced the thermostat and did yet another coolant flush which was well needed. As well as the thermostat, the car overheated on a 30 mile journey the other day and the lower hose was veritably ice cold.

Also got new tires on the front, making 4 brand new matching tires which amazingly improves the ride and handling.

121 - 129 of 129 Posts