Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - My van is now hesitating when on the highway, when I accelerate to pass other cars. Around town there is no noticeable issues. It seems to me that it could be a fuel issue since I just replaced the plugs. Sometimes the check engine light will come on during the issue and then go back off after a few minutes. Is there any way to be sure it is a fuel filter? Would you think that I should be able to test that out? I guess I have not tried to accelerate hard during some around town driving. Any thoughts or suggestions? Other possibilities? A friend mentioned a nox sensor but that it not my area of expertise...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just tested in a parking lot while not moving. After starting, I accelerated up to about 3000 RPM and there is no hesitation whatsoever...so it seems to only happen when there is a load or it would seem to me, a high fuel demand...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have always had a bit of a hesitation. Lets say you are merging onto a highway, stomp on gas, probably a 2 second delay before it kicks. Seems like it has always behaved that way. Did your vehicle never have any hesitation?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is more of a persistent hesitation and sputtering thing. I finally got my coffee reader to provide me some codes P0300, 0301 and 0304...think I'm just going to replace all 6 ignition coils... Wish I would have done that while I was changing the plugs recently... Oh well... I'll search this forum to see which brands are recommended... Please feel free to comment and make life easier for me. Replacing all 6 is the best approach? I'm over 200,000 miles now.

·
6,437 Posts
A s preventative measure - sure. Considering that you have transverse V6 and getting to the rear ones is PITA. Just before you start doing this, take bank 4 coil, as it's in the front, and swap with bank 5 or 6, and see if code follows. In that manner, you WILL know for sure that it is coil, not bad plug, for example.
Don't forget to lubricate coil nipples with dielectric grease.
Outside of that, it might be injectors. So if code stays after coil moved - there you are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A s preventative measure - sure. Considering that you have transverse V6 and getting to the rear ones is PITA. Just before you start doing this, take bank 4 coil, as it's in the front, and swap with bank 5 or 6, and see if code follows. In that manner, you WILL know for sure that it is coil, not bad plug, for example.
Don't forget to lubricate coil nipples with dielectric grease.
Outside of that, it might be injectors. So if code stays after coil moved - there you are.
Right, I will do that this weekend. I think my cylinders are 2-4-6 when standing in front of the car, so I'll swap that middle injector with either #2 or #6 whichever is easier. I changed plugs and wires a few months back so I wouldn't guess I have any issues there. I am beginning to add injector cleaners to my gas for now. At over 200,000 miles I suppose a few dirty injectors is still a possibility and the cleaner is probably a good idea regardless right? Certainly when I swap the front injectors, I will be able to simply accelerate hard when the vehicle is driving near 45 MPH as I can easily reproduce the sputtering/hesitation. It happens every time now under only those conditions. I''l update after I swap the injectors. I welcome any other feedback on the issue as I'm sure some might have a good feel with this vehicle as far as whether the coils are prone to failure or the injectors, etc. Thanks in advance for helping!

·
6,437 Posts
Swap coil. Not injectors.
Also, figure if you have EGR valve or not, some Toyotas do, some don't. That might also be culprit, but easy to clean - if you can get to it.
Yes, of course, run cleaners. No harm there. Massively, as what is going a spoon of solvent do in gallons of gas?
yes, bank facing radiator is bank two, so all even numbered cylinders are easy access.

·
Registered
8 Posts
doesn't the Sienna v6 only have 3 coils in front? and 6 spark plugs, 3 front and 3 rear under exhaust plenum?
denso should be good. try switching the coils to see if code follows. that way you will know which coil is bad.
also take each coil out and inspect to see if any burn marks around. that will be bad one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
doesn't the Sienna v6 only have 3 coils in front? and 6 spark plugs, 3 front and 3 rear under exhaust plenum?
denso should be good. try switching the coils to see if code follows. that way you will know which coil is bad.
also take each coil out and inspect to see if any burn marks around. that will be bad one.
I was curious about the number of coils as well. Only because I have read different in other places. Would be great for someone to clarify which engine has 3 and which has 6 coils. Really hoping that mine only has three in the front of course lol!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts